Discuss Non fire rated downlights and EICR coding& in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am just wondering whether or not non fire rated downlights should be a coded issue (c3 as many electricians have told me) or whether this is false. From memory I believe napit code breakers made it a c3 if there was a room above.

P.s I'm still learning and this just seems to be a bit of a grey area that everyone seems to disagree on. In my eyes I would imagine it wasnt a major issue and surely couldn't warrant anything more than a c3

Well I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me some clarity

Some downlights dont NEED to be fire rated but its a recommendation, some DO need to be fire rated but as you are not the architect you may not know , typically the room would have fire doors, higher rated plasterboard and the like.
Personally i dont like the idea of it being an issue for an EICR as how would you know ?

fire rated downlights are only reqitred in the following situations:
1. the room above is a seperate dwelling e.g. a flat occupied by a different tenant/occupier.
2. the downlights are installed in an integral garage with living accomodation above.
3. the ceiling is recognised as a fire barrier between floors.

otherwise no code.

If you are still learning why are you carrying out EICRs.
I work alongside others who are and i am trying to ask questions to create a better understanding. If people didn't do that then what happens is we have tradesman who tick the same boxes and give the same answers all their lives without a full understanding or the right information

I work alongside others who are and i am trying to ask questions to create a better understanding. If people didn't do that then what happens is we have tradesman who tick the same boxes and give the same answers all their lives without a full understanding or the right information

Can't argue with that. Good man.

I can't comment on the coding, not qualified enough. And we have had this debate before. If I was installing down lights, they would be fire rated regardless, and as said they are better quality anyway.

This best practice guide is quite useful reading;

Reg 527.2.1 (BYB) makes mention of wiring systems, passing through floors walls & ceilings. Reg 527.1.1 makes reference that general fire safety is not compromised, by altering the buildings fire safety performance.

I've had a couple of jobs with down lights in vaulted ceilings where BI wasn't happy with downlights in the sealed ceilings, its not just fire hazard, but insulation & acoustics.

It is Aug 2023 and an electrician has failed my EICR with code C2 for non-fire rated kitchen downlights that are located under my own bathroom one floor above it. It is an old house with old electrical wiring. Is he just drumming up for work?

Reply to Non fire rated downlights and EICR coding& in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net