Discuss Non paying customer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JL_Electrical

First fixed a two storey extension, started in August 2010. Kitchen diner and two upstairs bedrooms. Downlights throughout the kitchen diner, electric cooker, sockets galore, plinth heaters, remote veluxes etc. Customer changing his mind daily and adding extra points etc but as I seemed to quite get on with the bloke at the time, I kept my price the same. His wiring in the existing house was pretty damn bad, so I advised a rewire.
As he was gutting the rest of the house anyway, he agreed and I gave him a price. I have first fixed 85% of the existing house and second fixed some of it. I have left his existing wiring in place so as to not leave him in a mess. The reason that some remains to be first fixed is that he has repeatedly promised to move mountains of all sorts of crap from the rooms but never has gotten round to it. Anyway in late 2010 he falls out with the builder big time and the builder refuses to come back. I know the builder through a mutual customer and was informed that he hadn't been paid in full. I had been paid up until this point and thought there were no issues.
Anyway months pass by and I start to wonder what had happened, but being busy anyway I wasn't too fussed. I'd pretty much been paid for the work I'd done to that point. Anyway out of the blue one day the customer calls and says he's had issues with a subby the builder used and wasn't happy with the work but was made up with mine and would I be willing to come back and finish the job off. He explained that the job had came to a stop due to his mum dying and all the arrangements that came with it etc. I kind of felt sorry for the guy and against my better judgement I agreed that I would fit the remainder of the job in as and when I had time and made a promise that I'd have his Kitchen live for last Christmas. Which is a promise I kept.
The job hit a stop again when I said to him that he owed me ÂŁ525.00 + Mats for the kitchen and bedroom second fix. I'd been on it for two days and my apprentice for one. The bulk of this time was cutting in and second fixing down lights galore. Anyway his reply was the extension works were agreed with the builder, go and see him for your money. I obviously was not best pleased and have been trying to negotiate it since. The second fix gear had been stored in his house for nigh on a year and unfortunately some of the materials that had been sent by the wholesaler were incorrect. I had to replace these as rightly the wholesaler was unwilling to exchange a year later due to changing stock lines etc. I have not been reimbursed.
I have threatened the guy with a claim against him and sent recorded invoices etc, but he is sending letters back saying that I am refusing to come and sort out problems such as one downlight being the wrong colour, a spring clip missing (which he must have lost), downlights being in the wrong place (interesting it's taken him 12mths of looking at them to realise this), switch inserts being the wrong colour and that I'm flat out refusing to finish the works on his existing house. My reasoning is, why would I risk losing more money to do extra work for a non paying customer. The one downlighter being the wrong colour was due to it being marked wrong on the box. He knows damn well I'd have replaced it given half a chance. I've sent a written contract for him to sign requesting ÂŁ400.00 up front for materials and labour charge to be paid on completion for the remainder of his job. He has replied with a letter claiming I need to reimburse him for unfinished works, and things being in the wrong place and sockets not being energised etc.

Utter utter areshole and I've learned a big lesson from him.

I'm down ÂŁ700.00 shall I pursue it and go through all the rigmarole or put it down to experience and never work to verbal contract ever again?

this is typical of scammers.....they have a spec in mind.....then as it all starts going in....they change it...add bits on etc.....Robin..a builder a few doors away from me warned me about `customers` like this....be warned!!!

Glenn, I fully admit I've been had. But if I stopped and charge for every little extra I ever do for the Joe public, I don't think I'd ever have any work. I know it's wrong that they do it. As long as the customer isn't a complete idiot and it doesn't involve me shelling out for gear and I'm wiring in that area at the time then an extra light, socket or spur on the ring for something is sometimes neither here nor there.

Sorry to hear that mate, never a good situation. Realistically, think about the potential cost involved trying to get the money back through the small claims court - would it be worth it for ÂŁ700.00? Plus if you are busy, all the extra hassle and work involved taking it to court?

If it were me, I'd go round and take back everything that belongs to you that isn't fitted, and try and flog on here or eBay. And bite the bullet and put it down as a lesson in life!

That's my thoughts but others may disagree.....that's what a forum is for!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ed

I always tell arkward payers that im passing my money owed to the local unregistered debt collector, i says ive used him before and i get my money owed upfront from him, he makes he money by changing ÂŁ75 per visit plus ÂŁ50 per half hour on site, he has no interest in a missing lamp clip or anything else, then remind him you had a verbal agreement to which hes doing his best to stall and get out of, then say if payment isnt made within 2weeks then it isnt your problem anymore, and remind him he aint bothered about legalities of this situe as hes taking on the debt and making sure hes paid it with commision...... then see how long before you get payed???? Be careful this is scare tactics and might not bode well in court but it usually works a treat.

In all fairness though, I wouldn't have paid for some of that building work but don't really like to comment on others work. Especially when he gave me the job
and if other trades havn`t been paid.....and you get wind of it......you stop n all.......i would!!

Glenn, I fully admit I've been had. But if I stopped and charge for every little extra I ever do for the Joe public, I don't think I'd ever have any work. I know it's wrong that they do it. As long as the customer isn't a complete idiot and it doesn't involve me shelling out for gear and I'm wiring in that area at the time then an extra light, socket or spur on the ring for something is sometimes neither here nor there.
`been had`.makes it sound a bit like your at fault here.....you aint mate....you get your money out of this turnip....by hook or by crook.....i hate this kind of thing me.....like where just here to be taken the p**s outof....

The fact he fell out with the builder should have being a clue.sorry for stating the obvious.no way would i let this guy away with it.even it it meant breaking the law i would make him pay.I had a case like that once not only would he not pay up he personally insulted me.He paid up but I couldnt say publicly how I got the money plus costs.

the thing is n all ...is i think sometimes the good and the decent dont want to kick up a fuss about how to get what is rightfully their money.......well i would say this to those.......look at the fuss recently kicked up in westminster.....by those that were unrightfully claiming monies that WERNT THEIRS....so if those that make laws can behave in this manner......well i cant see an issue with someone going after monies owed that they ACTUALLY EARNED.....

I always tell arkward payers that im passing my money owed to the local unregistered debt collector, i says ive used him before and i get my money owed upfront from him, he makes he money by changing ÂŁ75 per visit plus ÂŁ50 per half hour on site, he has no interest in a missing lamp clip or anything else, then remind him you had a verbal agreement to which hes doing his best to stall and get out of, then say if payment isnt made within 2weeks then it isnt your problem anymore, and remind him he aint bothered about legalities of this situe as hes taking on the debt and making sure hes paid it with commision...... then see how long before you get payed???? Be careful this is scare tactics and might not bode well in court but it usually works a treat.
but then it has to be proven in court doesn`t it!!.....your word against his on an issue like this..(unregistered debt collector)...

I heard a story from another spark who was owed a few quid for a job once and they would not pay saying come back in a few day a see my brother who will pay you.......
They pulled the service fuse and went to leave you have not seen someone paid so quickly!!

I would keep your eyes on chanel five. You may see your self and the builder on cowboy builders. They only show how upset the customer is and dont always tell the full story. This guy may tell them the sob story saying you did not finish your work and there were bits missing etc and that will make you look bad. Its not right. Im not saying there arnt any cowboys owt there, cos we know there are, but in this case the cowboy is the customer!!!

Jay

I heard a story from another spark who was owed a few quid for a job once and they would not pay saying come back in a few day a see my brother who will pay you.......
They pulled the service fuse and went to leave you have not seen someone paid so quickly!!

A mate of mine did the same. Did a job on a verbal agreement of price and the guy knocked him down on price on completion. He flat out refused to pay the pre agreed price, so the fuse was pulled and out came the money in full. Does the problem customer in question have an external meter cabinet ? Just saying.

Reply to Non paying customer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock