Discuss Non priority shower unit issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 2 showers running off a Garo Non priority unit. This causes one shower to not activate if the other is on.

1 of the showers is working fine. The other turns on for a few seconds & then loses power completely. I'm abroad so I've had an electrician look at it for me & he's saying the wire to it might be faulty. Am I right in saying this isn't a possibility from looking at the wiring diagram?

He's swapped connection from shower 1 to shower 2 on the contactors however the fault stays with the original shower.

wiring.png

I think the fault may also be with the 'original shower' or - inadequate water flow/pressure to it or flow from it, either causing the shower to trip on overheat.

I've had to deal with this before.

It turned out to be the contactor in the unit in the attic. That took a long time to diagnose considering I wasn't told that there were two showers from the one supply.

But considering your electrician is there, you have to trust his analysis.

Ok. Silly question time.
How does that circuit work?
It looks like you have the 40A feed for the shower going through the coils of K3 & K4 before it goes to the shower.
The 6A feed goes through the NC of K3 & K4 which energise K1 & K2
I'm presuming K1-K4 are contactors.

K3 and K4 sense the flow of current to each shower. When the current through their coil is greater than 11-12A their corresponding contacts open. Since K3's NC contacts are in series with contactor coil K2 and K4's NC contacts are in series with contactor K1......

I leave you to complete the explanation.

K3 and K4 sense the flow of current to each shower. When the current through their coil is greater than 11-12A their corresponding contacts open. Since K3's NC contacts are in series with contactor coil K2 and K4's NC contacts are in series with contactor K1......

I leave you to complete the explanation.

Thanks @marconi, that makes more sense.

Reply to Non priority shower unit issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net