Discuss Non-standard install advice in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kempy1

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in the process of trying to get a charging point fitted to a detached double garage and it is proving to be a bit of nightmare.

The existing wiring can only support 16amp and there is also a powered roller shutter door so the one EV charge point installer that has been out has said I can have a max of 8amps for a charger. This is frankly nowhere near enough, I need at least 32amps.

So, the idea I've had is to run a separate, 10mm SWA cable along the wall that is there to the front of the house and into the electrical supply for the house.

Does this sound like it would work? I have attached some pictures and a rather poor drawing to hopefully illustrate what I am getting at.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks.

20191001_173431.jpg20191001_173413.jpg20191001_173424.jpg20191001_173329.jpg$RHZKWAG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say what you are looking for is pretty standard. I haven’t worked out the size of cable required over that length but 10mm sounds about right. You may only need a 2 core cable depending on the earthing arrangement of the charging point

Not a problem. Standard work for an electrical. I dont understand why the electrician that visited didn't recommend this solution to you. If it has to cross the lawn, offer to dig the trench to bring the cost down for you :)

Is there going to be an issue with existing install earthing and the ev earthing in the garage, If it’s going to be TT’d?

OP have you purchased your charger yet?

If that was my nearly new house, I want the cable buried and not clipped the brickwork.
It's not going to look pretty when its crossing over all the pillars on the wall.

Reply to Non-standard install advice in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net