Discuss none fire rated recessed lighting! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

you still have to buy a seperate fire hood to use them!

why? is the floor above a separate dwelling?

Always a frequently debated subject here, and yes a normal domestic dwelling is treated as a single fire compartment, but there are other aspects to consider.

Plasterboard ceilings are also used to protect loadbearing and non loadbearing walls and floors from premature collapse during a fire, not just to make them look nice. Cutting gert great big holes in said plasterboard isn't going to help that.

Electrical Safety First Best Practise guide 5 issue 2 gives some guidance on this subject;
Best Practice Guides - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/best-practice-guides/

Down lights and flush CU's are mentioned, amongst other electrical accessories. Course no one mentions the holes chopped in for bathrooms for extractor fans (although this guide does)! And if your in a scheme, some of them advice the fitting only of fire rated downlights or fitting of fire hoods as standard.

Why do people still make none fire rated down-lights?
Got to do a quote for a new build where the client wants fittings that are not fire rated. Still waiting for quote from my wholesalers- but doubt they are cheap!

Round Trimless Magnetic Downlight - http://www.orlight.com/en/cat/downlights/ORL1018-1.html

why do these 'premium' fittings get made- but you still have to buy a seperate fire hood to use them!
With Orlight they are a direct to contractor supplier.

Maybe your wholesaler will have more luck than I have ever had with them, but usually the process is:

1. Call them up to obtain the quote.
  2. Get told they won't deal with you over the phone and to email them instead.
  3. Send them the email stating the project quotation you are after.
  4. Wait a day or two to get a response along the lines of "to provide you with this quotation we need, The Architects Details, The Contractors, The Project Name, The End Users Details.
  5. Call the contractor back for this info (to which they never know the answers).
  6. Email Orlight back over these details.
  7. Wait a few days for a response saying "to enhance profit on this project this is listed as a direct to consumer project. Please advise your customer."
So yeah, cut out your wholesaler in this instance. The chances of them getting anywhere is pretty low (although saying that sometimes there are projects that can be placed through wholesalers. These are very rare though).

Reply to none fire rated recessed lighting! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net