Discuss Norton motorcycle problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum I have a problem with a Norton it has electronic ignition and is positive earth when I engage the starter the voltage drops which is to be expected, the problem is the electronic ignition needs the full 12V to operate normally this causes a lot of cranking to start whereas one kick and it starts. I bought a small voltage regulator which puts out 12V even when the input voltage drops to 8V however it is Neg ground so can't see a way of using it. In your opinion would a capacitor in the feed wire to the electronic ignition solve the problem many thanks

my first suspect would be the battery or a poor connection. might even be a fault with the charging system. battery voltage should not drop to a point where the electronics stop working.

I agree with Tel - make sure the battery is definitely good, and check for bad connections, especially earths.

And get a photo of the bike on here for us to have a look at it!

my first suspect would be the battery or a poor connection. might even be a fault with the charging system. battery voltage should not drop to a point where the electronics stop working.
Hi thanks for the replies the battery is brand new hi ampere hour rating all earths and wiring are good and of a sufficient gauge to carry the current it’s a known fault that the Boyer Branston ignition is very voltage sensitive anything lower than 12v and it doesn’t function well the later mk5 Boyer Branston is modified to rectify lower voltages so just need to know if a capacitor will solve it and if so maybe someone can recommend a capacitor Cheers

C1A9134D-DEDB-4D10-95B5-A716EF88338F.jpeg

Lovely bike.
I can't see how a capacitor is going to cure this. Have you tried a Norton forum?

When was your starter motor last stripped and cleaned? The brushes could be on their way out.

The oilite bushes may need oiling, this needs you to use hot oil and allow them to soak overnight.

My Triumph kick-starts have never let me down...

Old Brit electrics were never the best, Lucas always let the magic smoke escape...

Triumph cars from the 70s (and probably others) used to have a ballasted ignition system... so the coil was only 6 volts and easily got the voltage it needed despite the starter motor pulling the battery voltage down.

Been a while,but i will add that it is normal,and acceptable,for system voltage to drop down to 9 volt,during cranking,on a 12 volt system. Any ignition system,should be designed to cope with this,and not just give up.

This was the principle of coils of old,running through a ballast resistor,on ignition,and getting full 12 volts via a feed from the start circuit,during cranking.

Reply to Norton motorcycle problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net