Discuss Ableskills Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CRV

Hi All

I, as a 38 yr old looking at a career change have researched many Electrician course providers, but Ableskills offer a 'Part P for Beginners' course which they tell me will teach everything necessary in domestic installation.

Are people aware of (carried out) this course and is it as good as Ableskill's sell it to be?

Will have to be brutally honest with you, if you wish to be an Electrician then the only way you will have any sort of career is to do a full 3 to 4 yrs course with tied in apprenticeship, doing any shorter courses will be money down the drain (IMHO), you would need a good history in the electrical trade to get anything out of these wonder courses in which case it will be just refining your already experienced history.
The housing market is also still stagnant with a massive surplus of skilled qualified electricians already out there when it does pick up you will be at the back of a very long queue, its all well these courses premoting 40k 50k income possibilities but in the current climate some well established are struggling to make 15-20k, so in context the course wont deliver what you expect, the work out there is still virtually non- existant at the moment and if it does pick up you will be behind the well established getting back into the game, your lack of experience will make you hard to employ.

I have done a couple of courses with Able skills in Dartford and while there instructors are top notch their Part P course will not " teach everything necessary in domestic installation" It is there to instruct you about Part P of the building regs and a very basic insight into domestic electrics.It is a starter course but if you have little or no knowledge/experience of domestic elecctrics then you need a lot more than just this course before a career change.

Reply to Ableskills Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net