Discuss Not enough practical experience when infrequently testingl in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
last time i passed my 2391 was ten years ago,since then i have had about 2weeks testing experience 5years ago and it is amazing how much you can forget unless you are testing on a fairly frequent basis.Or have a bloody good memory!!!!.Thats why dedicated testers always seem to be very quick.I wonder if any other guys have the same problem???.I do appreciate help on here with other sparks giving advice so i do feel a bit sorry for guys that get lambasted for lack of knowledge.I was thinking of a re-fresher course???? anyone know any good ones or idea's on this,as the 2hrs practical at college does not give one much confidence.By the way this is a prequel to me asking a few questions later:wink5:

Unfortunately the only real response to lack of experience is to get experience!
Even redoing the 2391 would not give you any experience although it may help to get back up to speed with the new regs.
I would suggest initially re reading the latest GN3 and making sure you are happy with the testing and inspection sequences and and doing some inspection and testing on your home to become familiar again with the issues involved. Then if you have have accommodating friends try their houses (might give them a free PIR! not sure if you would meet the competence requirements at the moment!).

thanks for your help RB but bit of s sweeping statement about competance, are you an assesor (lol) and yes i have passed my 17th with flying colours (lol) perhaps i should have posted this a bit more lightheartedly it sounds if i'm ready for the knackers yard (lol)

No worries its propbably more about confidence than competance.We must remember that most people start at some base level,if we decided everyone at base level should not progress further because of lack of knowledge we would have no one testing. would we( lol.)Help is always appreciated its just some people see it as a points scoring exercise.Thank you for your input and help there are some good sparks on here and helpful knowledge is always a good thing.
Sorry about the competence; got to cover yourself at all times!!

Reply to Not enough practical experience when infrequently testingl in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net