Discuss Not getting jobs we quote for. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jools p

Don't know whats happening but were not getting re-wires that we quote for anymore. We are in Cornwall, just, and I've just quoted for an empty victorian 3 bed house. Basic re-wire nothing fancy(going to be rented out). £2100. Thats about right aint it. Geezer tells me some guy quoted just under a grand. Whats that about.

If we are going to under cut each other like that because the media are hyping up the recession we are all in trouble.

What you guys think...?

you see this undercutting thing happening more & more, but to do a full rewire on a 3 bed house for under a grand is crazy.....was that price including material as well?

the guy must be working for nothing

jesus

maybe the guy employs a few young lads that are at college pays them peanuts to do the job, comes round checks it tests it and signs it off

either that or he likes working for nothing haha

materials have got to be best part £500, unless he's seriously skiming thats mad has the customer seen hi Id card. is the bloke definately on the level :mad:

Yeah and I bet when you go into the loft all the existing old cables are there on connector blocks! With nice new short ones coming out of the board! :eek:

I suppose the bloke could be telling porkies just to see if he could get me down. Although he told us that he wouldn't go for it because it sounded too cheap. He hasn't gone for ours though.... I thought our price was about right.
You can only put in a fair price. You can't start cutting corners to get it down.
In a few years they wont remember that it was cheap just it wasn't very good.

You can only put in a fair price. You can't start cutting corners to get it down.
In a few years they wont remember that it was cheap just it wasn't very good.

Agree with you there buddy, we must stick to our guns otherwise if everyone starts trying to undercut everyone else the whole industry will end up on it's a**e ;)

I am having the same problem, especially with rewires.

I have been getting some free advice from a business coach and he has given me some tips for getting the job and making the money you are worth.

He says:-

Make as much contact with the customer as possible, view the job, spend time talking and try to get on a personal level as if you are friends. Go away from the customer and produce a spec. Send the spec by email or call by and go through it with the customer. Basically you need to do as much as possible to keep your companys name and your name in the front of thier mind. Try not to look like a deranged stalker though.

Make a point about been trustmark registered and the benefits for the customer.

Make a point about been Part P. Tell the customer how to check other tradesman are Part P.

When you produce your quote include references from other customers, a little in depth detail about your business and other clients, gain the respect of the customer.

NEVER LOWER YOUR PRICE ! (I must admit I do this from time to time to get work)

If the customer wants to go for a silly unrealistic quote then let them go, leave them with a little advice and make sure they have your card. They may want to calll you pretty soon because let`s face it, "Sparks?" doing 3 bed rewires for £1000 and changeing consumer units for £200 are not doing the job right and customers that employ these people may be buying into an early death for themselves or family.

MRES, well said mate!

It is crazy why anyone would even want to start spiralling downwards and under sell their own skills (unless they don't have them in the first place!) after they have trained so hard in the past to get to where they are today?

Unfortunately the potential customers tend to just see price and you have to agree that we all would question why the same (as far as the customer is concerned) rewire is £1100.00 different.

Agree that it is all about educating the customer about whats involved the job and the risks. I think sometimes we sparks do under sell ourselves because we assume that the customer knows more than they actually do.

Sorry to make this offtopic slightly, but when quoting for rewires, how do you kinda price it? do you do it per room? or per socket outlet, light fitting etc, and anymore for 2way/intermediate etc. Sorry i never been self employed so just wondering as in the future i made need it :).

In my experiance you can never cost anything per socket or switch or room. You have to look at the job, take everything into consideration.

Access, Flat, house, lofts space, 6 flights of stairs ?, Parking
funished unfurnished
new fitted carpets, old carpets getting scrapped, wood flooring, tiled floors
disposal of rubbish

the list goes on

Work out how long it will take you + materials

Tiger, you are correct. I too price most jobs in that manner. I also use SPONS estimateing guide as a cross reference. It is a pretty handy book.

"changeing consumer units for £200"

I agree with all above, out of interest what is the going rate for a cu swap with you guys i normally quote about 280 if no problems.

I usually charge £350 to £450 for a basic 10 way split 17th put price depends on bonding and tails etc.

I make a point of doing a periodic on the house first to identify any problems that may play games with the RCD`s. Then I will test each circuit after the cu change and issue a periodic cert and a minor works cert if needed.

Hello chaps,

just to put another angle to this post tho...
(allthogth I do agree with you all)

A friend of mine does kitchens, bathrooms, wetrooms etc, he is an absolute perfectionist, his work is outstanding but he does charge £250+ per day. he is wirth his money but he is tending to get his work from people with money and missing on the every day "working man"

He hasnt had much work for a few months so whilst I was on an extenion job the customer wanted a reputable plasterer, (my friend can do this) so oviously recomended him, I knew what the other guy had quoted and passed on this info. my mate still came in higher than the other guy......???

we then had a discussion on acceptable day rates, my take is that surely if you have no work on at all then a smaller day rates beter than nothing..

so back to the origonal post, maybe the guy has priced at £100p.day..
thats still £500 a week, is this not acceptable?

so back to the origonal post, maybe the guy has priced at £100p.day..
thats still £500 a week, is this not acceptable?

A friend of mine earns £100 a day standing at a machine that makes coke cans. He has no qualifications in anything, and he has no real skills.

What separates a fully qualified skilled electrician from a person starting and stopping a machine all day?? (as an example)

you wont see a heart surgeon saying "works abit quiet at the minute... so tell the patient ill charge £100 to change his heart valve"

I think we should all stick to realistic prices based on our skills, knowledge and the years and years spent at college. We can’t carry on undercutting one another with stupidly low prices.

Otherwise we will spend most of the year earning less than a site labourer stacking bricks!!

Exactly
£100 per day less overheads, van,fuel, insurance, scheme membership, tools ect ect, leaves you with about £70 less tax not including a bit of company profit on the job, i was paying this for second year students not so long ago, stick with sensible prices, i find people more often than not will go for a reccommend even if its not the cheapest quote.

do agree with you lister abour the recomendation side...

I set my price for the job at what I want for doing it and stick to the price..I have had as some of the other guys have, put in aprice not got it and then find out who has done it has F?@k>d it up and customer not at all happy...

on the note of costs etc,,,what do you tend to price your day rate at?
I generally look at an invoiced day as £150 for working in the general locality.

I set my price for the job at what I want for doing it and stick to the price..I have had as some of the other guys have, put in aprice not got it and then find out who has done it has F?@k>d it up and customer not at all happy......

This is usually at the point when they call YOU! :mad:

Reply to Not getting jobs we quote for. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock