Discuss Not sure where to go next. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Validis

Hey guys. I have never been put on any apprenticeship programme, but a few years ago, paid myself, to go college to complete my level 2 and level 3 city & guilds 2330. Whilst studying, the tutors made it seem like after the 2330, came the 2391 inspection and testing, and then that, along with a few years experience would make me a fully qualified electrician.

I have around a years experience so far, and my level 2 & 3 city&guilds, and very happily consider myself an Electrician's Mate. But my supervisor told me that it was a waste of time, and not to bother enrolling for the 2391, unless i specifically wanted to do just Testing. He explained the low pass rate, the bad examination process, and that becoming a fully qualified electrician just came with confidence, experience and ability to carry out work.

I knew that I wouldnt be ready to enrol for the 2391 anytime soon, and wanted to wait untill i had at least 2 years experience. I was also looking at perhaps enrolling to do an NVQ too, but do not meet the requirements because it asks that if I am not on the books with a company, then i must have at least 2 years experience of being self employed, and able to work unsupervised.

I currently have 1 years experience of being self employed (and working through an agency the whole time). However, I am under the impression that I am not allowed to work unsupervised unless I am fully qualified, so i have some confusion here too...

Can someone explain what kind of direction I need to be heading in next? Thanks for your time!

You will only be classed as a fully qualified ELECTRICIAN when you complete a level 3 NVQ City and guilds 2356 or equivilant and a AM2 test

Once you have completed these, you can then go onto study 2391 to become an APPROVED ELECTRICIAN (once you have 2 years experience as a electrician)

Hey guys. I have never been put on any apprenticeship programme, but a few years ago, paid myself, to go college to complete my level 2 and level 3 city & guilds 2330. Whilst studying, the tutors made it seem like after the 2330, came the 2391 inspection and testing, and then that, along with a few years experience would make me a fully qualified electrician.

I have around a years experience so far, and my level 2 & 3 city&guilds, and very happily consider myself an Electrician's Mate. But my supervisor told me that it was a waste of time, and not to bother enrolling for the 2391, unless i specifically wanted to do just Testing. He explained the low pass rate, the bad examination process, and that becoming a fully qualified electrician just came with confidence, experience and ability to carry out work.

I knew that I wouldnt be ready to enrol for the 2391 anytime soon, and wanted to wait untill i had at least 2 years experience. I was also looking at perhaps enrolling to do an NVQ too, but do not meet the requirements because it asks that if I am not on the books with a company, then i must have at least 2 years experience of being self employed, and able to work unsupervised.

I currently have 1 years experience of being self employed (and working through an agency the whole time). However, I am under the impression that I am not allowed to work unsupervised unless I am fully qualified, so i have some confusion here too...

Can someone explain what kind of direction I need to be heading in next? Thanks for your time!
Well i must say...that was nice of him......to discourage you like that! Do we really want these kind of lecturers/tutors (who incidentally have gained all there certs themselves) in our educational establishments?

Reply to Not sure where to go next. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock