Discuss Not sure where to start ... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

edward m

Hi Guys, I am not sure where to post this as wanted to get as much info as possible..I am a 28 year old man with a family that runs my own mobile disco company... as much as i love my job I do not want to be doing this all my life! i have over the last 6 months been lookng in to electricians work as this is what i would like to do long term. Ive emailed colleges and company but they keep coming back with appreniships go up to age 25!! I for the first time feel old in my life!! I am willing to do it anyway i can i would happily pay for the course as i can afford to do that with my other work although things would be tight this is something i want to do a a career so am happy to do that.. Im hard working family man who wants to better my career opportunities so why is it impossible for me to find a course at my age?? Anyone have any ideas they could throw my way im in the kent area!

Many thanks in advance :)

You may be able to do the college route yourself (2330) over 3 years night class this course changes shortly and not sure if it will be available for much longer gain as much practical experience as possible in meantime alternatively there is the shorter few week courses available although not very well thought of withib the trade

Hi Edward, Welcome to the forum. I'm not from your area so can't offer any specific advice. Just don't get depressed mate, perseverance is the key. You will increase your chances of success if you contact local electrical firms and local college electrical lecturers in person. At face to face meetings you are more likely to get a sympathetic hearing, plus they are able to associate your face and name at follow up inquiries. College open days are a good way of making contact with lecturers initially. Make sure you collect business cards or contact details from those contacts, follow them up regularly and try to establish a personal relationship with them.

I a sad state as this story is all over the trade at the moment. not even the young lads are getting apprenticeships and they are willing to work for less than a £100 pound a week so it is hard.

The one bit of advice I can offer is please don't get sucked into the 8 week courses that can get you fully qualified and earn up-to 40,000 a year. These training centres are the mugs that have put this industry on its knees flooding it will inexperienced poorly qualified electrician.

Keep on your toes and try to get an apprenticeship, do you know an electrician? that's where I would start and if you don't get to know one somehow (the pub??) and then pop the question! I love this trade and the four years are always worth it!

Reply to Not sure where to start ... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net