Discuss Notifiable work in a kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve D

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All,

I'm not a member of niceic or suchlike (still doing last year of C&G 2330) and I'm doing the odd little job where notification to building control is not necessary.

However, I've been asked to put in some undercupboard lighting in a kitchen.
Essentially, I'm trying to establish if there's a way of my legally doing the work without having to notify.

If I was to put in a fused spur then my understanding is that this must be notified, as I am altering a circuit in a kitchen - am I right ?

How about if I was to remove a socket, and replace it with an fcu, would this be acceptable as I was not 'altering' the circuit.

Don't get me wrong, If I can't do it legally without notifying then I'll happily walk away, but if I can do it legally without notifying then all's well.

Many thanks
Steve

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Hi All,

I'm not a member of niceic or suchlike (still doing last year of C&G 2330) and I'm doing the odd little job where notification to building control is not necessary.

However, I've been asked to put in some undercupboard lighting in a kitchen.
Essentially, I'm trying to establish if there's a way of my legally doing the work without having to notify.

If I was to put in a fused spur then my understanding is that this must be notified, as I am altering a circuit in a kitchen - am I right ?

How about if I was to remove a socket, and replace it with an fcu, would this be acceptable as I was not 'altering' the circuit.

Don't get me wrong, If I can't do it legally without notifying then I'll happily walk away, but if I can do it legally without notifying then all's well.

Many thanks
Steve
you can get undercupboard lights with ready made up plugs and connectors,and if you supply the circuit from a 13amp plugtop I don't think notification will be necessary

S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, ANY work in a special location (kitchen, bathroom, outside etc) is notifiable to your LABC, unless you are just swapping old for new switches or sockets.

Understand what your are saying with regards to swapping a socket outlet for a FCU, but it still needs notifying.

S

Steve D

Thanks Jason, that was my hunch.
My only concern with the plugtop option is the aesthetics of it, but if that's the only way I can do it legally then so be it.

If I do but the lights on a plugtop, then I assume that it negates filling out any certificates as well ?

S

Spudnik

If I do but the lights on a plugtop, then I assume that it negates filling out any certificates as well ?
Indeed it does as its not considered as part of the fixed wiring.

Cheers

Reply to Notifiable work in a kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom