Discuss Novice light switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gjs85

-
Reaction score
Hi,

We have lighting in the loft in our new house but it doesn’t work. Had some work done yesterday and the guy tested that there was power going into the light switch but not out and suggested trying a new switch. Here is the original 2 way dimmer switch as it was wired and with the wires removed so that you can see how it was labelled:

nmxgdy.jpg

2dc5ufs.jpg

Ive just bought the following normal 2 way switch as a replacement as I’m not bothered about a dimmer:

rs6ewy.jpg

My simple question is how do I wire into the replacement?

Thanks.

The guy who tested it works for a loft company that install lighting. In fairness he only removed the dimmer switch and just tested the live going into L1 had power going through it and established that L2 didn’t have anything going out he didn’t do anything else. I think they are switched from 2 locations but obviously can’t be certain as they aren’t working lol. We only moved in a few months ago and they haven’t worked at all. I couldn’t see any other cables in the backbox.

Scary stuff. Is it a loft conversion? Just wondered why a dimmer in the loft.

I would expect a trainee/apprentice to immediately spot a serious issue there. If it is two way someone has used the earth as a live conductor which could have serious consequences so I would strongly recommend getting an electrician in to check it including Mr Loft Lightings work.

Yes it is a fully converted loft with a switch just as you go up inside then the dimmer and also a triple switch next to it which I thought may have controlled 2 of the spotlights each there are 6 in total. There are also 7 double plug sockets in the loft it has been very nicely converted overall and there is definitely power going in as the live cable showed this when he tested it and the plug sockets work as normal.

That switch has not been installed by anyone vaguely professional, if, as it appears, the cpc s have been used as live conductors.
If there is voltage in l1, and nothing in C you wouldn't necessarily expect any voltage on l2. As I said in my previous post, whoever this chap was who 'tested' this seems to have no idea what they were doing, how have the cables been left? Just flapping about in the breeze?!

Get a local electrician in to sort it for you, and if the rest of the loft was wired up by the same person, get them to check that over as well. Just cos it works, doesn't mean it's safe.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear about your new home but it's got to be worth a few hours of a professionals time to ensure your safety.

No they were put back into the dimmer as were and the switch screwed back in I didn’t want them to just be left hanging especially with a live cable.

I agree and was expecting to have to call an electrician out anyway it was just a pleasant surprise that there was power up there at all. Can anyone recommend an electrician I’m near junction 30 of the M1 so anyone nearby?

Thanks.

Reply to Novice light switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net