Discuss Nuisance tripping - faulty RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Had a real headache of a fault finding job which has left me scratching my head - RCCB on a split load board, supplying 3 circuits (shower, immersion and downstairs lights) constantly tripping. The frustrating thing about this was while it would sometimes trip within seconds, mostly it would take anything from ten minutes to several hours before tripping, which made it very difficult to pin down to anything in particular. Insulation resistance readings for those circuits were fine, RCD not tripping at 15mA. Checked every light switch and fitting, shower and isolation switch, immmersion heater switch, no sign of anything that would cause it to trip. Tried leaving shower and immersion heater MCBs off, still tripped. Switched shower off at the isolator, still tripped (immersion heater was hardly ever used so that was already switched off). Disconnected the shower and immersion heater circuits at the board leaving only downstairs lights running off it, still tripped. To take a closer look at the downstairs lighting obviously involved lifting parts of the floor upstairs which was easier said than done. There were 2 or 3 junction boxes on the circuit which I opened and were fine, and all cables were in good condition. Only thing I could think left to try was swapping the RCCB with a spare one I had. Reconnected everything, tested the new RCD and it hasn't tripped since! All the fault finding I've ever done it's been because of the wiring or a faulty appliance, never come across a faulty one RCD before and wondered how common they were. I took the old one back with me and did an experiment to see if it tripped with no load connected and it didn't, so maybe it wasn't faulty. Either way, replacing it cured the nuisance tripping.

Did you ramp test the RCD? They are pretty reliable, these days.
Could be a bit of e-n leakage, a bit of a screw scratch at a switch somewhere, who knows?
Maybe time for an earth leakage tester.
Whatever, time may hold the key.

Last edited:
I have only had this once. The RCD had been randomly tripping and had gotten gradually worse over time. No IR issues when tested. Replaced it, and all was well.

In a funny way the failure mode of RCDs could do with inverting. It’s very uncommon for them to trip without cause, and much more common for main switch RCDs to not trip at all through lack of exercise.

I’ve seen them loads of times on the caravan park.

Identical RCDs, same age, same environmental conditions… one would fail before the other just because the customer had faults and tripped it over and over….

Constant tripping through faults can damage the rcd so it either (occasionally) trips well within threshold, or, more dangerously, doesn’t trip at all.

Could be a bit of e-n leakage, a bit of a screw scratch at a switch somewhere, who knows?
The ramp test would be my go to on faults like this as it gives a good indication of the state of the RCD
Finding and identifying the leakage needs a clampmeter if the cause isn't readily identifiable, one of the intermittant favourites for me is the auto defrost fridge and freezer with a faulty heating element

Yes sorry forgot to say 21mA exactly the same for the one that new one that replaced it.

As I say it was a real headache because whatever caused it to trip was very brief and random making it and really difficult to pin down. After narrowed it down as much as I could, in the end I temporarily put the downstairs lights on the RCBO for the upstairs lights (no borrowed neutrals anywhere btw) and the RCCB still tripped with nothing connected to the load, the RCBO didn't trip. Was a bit peed off after wasting so much time but that's my fault.

What I don't understand is why it would trip with no load at this property but not when I tried it at home. The client did say he thinks it started happening not long after the smart meter was installed so could it possibly be to do with that?

Proteus, and right next to each other!
Have a look at this old thread. It's usually old Memera RCDs that seem to be a problem with smart meters. I haven't heard of it happening with Proteus, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Have a look at this old thread. It's usually old Memera RCDs that seem to be a problem with smart meters. I haven't heard of it happening with Proteus, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Ah, thanks for that. It's not something I've come across before but it would make sense if that was the cause.

Not sure how I'm going to charge for this job, having wasted so much time going down dead ends!

Ah, thanks for that. It's not something I've come across before but it would make sense if that was the cause.

Not sure how I'm going to charge for this job, having wasted so much time going down dead ends!
That’s the nature of fault finding.
You have to charge the time it takes to find the fault…. Not just the end repair.

I always make it clear before starting a fault finding job that it's charged at an hourly rate, as it's impossible to say what the the fault is until, well, you've actually spent time looking for it!
I usually give an estimation of how long I think it's likely to take though...

That’s the nature of fault finding.
You have to charge the time it takes to find the fault…. Not just the end repair.
I get that, just thinking that I could have saved myself a lot of time if I'd tried putting the downstairs lights onto the upstairs lights RCBO before lifting the floor and inspecting the circuit.

Even with all conductors on the affected circuits disconnected?
I understood from your post that you disconnected the shower, the immersion but not the lights?
If you did of course disconnect all the affected conductors (lives and neutrals) then by default you would have isolated any N to E fault and the rcd should not trip.
Whenever I have experienced an rcd tripping with no load connected it was always because of an N to E fault in the installation combined with a DNO neutral that had a significant volt drop, (10 to 12 volts) causing a circuit to flow between N and E in the installation.

If tripping with no load then it has to be the RCD/RCBO's fault one way or another. Either it is actually faulted inside, or it lacks EMC protection against smart meters.

The whole EU (and thus UK) EMC directive came in to force around 1996 and was unusual compared to older rules on causing RF interference in that it also required certain minimum standards of RF immunity as well. But as always there was some "wriggle room" in how you interpret the rules and many companies paid only lip service to it. In particular you could define what constituted "failure" in a way that would allow you to get out of certain things - so you could say that a Walkman style unit need not work with a mobile phone adjacent to it as you would not be using both at the same time, and so close mobile phone operation causing transient degradation was allowed as a pass.

I have no idea if the makes of the RCBOs assumed nobody would have a phone 0.3m away all the time and so did not take sufficient steps to filter it, after all those extra capacitors costing £0.01 would seriously impact on the profits...

As well as newer RCD/RCBO hopefully being more immune by design due to the knowledge that RF transmitters adjacent to the CU are the "new normal", the move to metal CU also should help there. Though the cables going in/out mean the reduction in RF is not nearly as large as you might hope for, but it will still be better than plastic CU!

This is a totally unknown area for me.Smart meters have only started to be really rolled out here in the last 2 years.Have never yet been called out to a tripping rcd fault that transpired to be caused by a smart meter.A question that crops up in my mind is this.Would the older more "traditional " rcd,s /rcbo,s ( so less electronics) be less suseptable to this issue?

This is a totally unknown area for me.Smart meters have only started to be really rolled out here in the last 2 years.Have never yet been called out to a tripping rcd fault that transpired to be caused by a smart meter.A question that crops up in my mind is this.
I don't do most of this "professionally" so can't comment on the percentage of faults due to this reason or other reasons.

Would the older more "traditional " rcd,s /rcbo,s ( so less electronics) be less suseptable to this issue?
The very original sort with just a sensitive trip coil and differential transformer would not be bothered by RF. But if you start having electronics in there the issue of RF causing upsets has to be addressed as basically and diode junction (part of transistor, etc) will rectify the very high frequency RF and generate a DC or low frequency term from it.

Many products from older times suffered badly from EMC issues as mobile phones came in as they were never tested for it, and in the past you would not have had a 0.1W or so transmitter only 30cm away (at least outside of a radio amateur's home, which is equivalent to a 11kW transmitter at 100m, or 10MW at 3km away). By to 2000s that was common and so companies had to start fixing stuff, but how quickly products were checked/modified is anybody's guess!

Reply to Nuisance tripping - faulty RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock