Discuss number of points served in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cheers guys it's in the book somwhere but I just can't be ar**** tonight my other half is filling in a pir she's firing questions then arguing with me, she's just winding me up though cos Iam off to the pub for quiz night
Mac

Well,you get one point for saying a double is 1 and no points for a double is 2

Its one point for a double or a single or a tripple or a -----

The"double is 2 points fan club"will be along any time soon :)

Well I must say I'm disappointed with you lot, they had a thread on this over on the IET a few months ago and it went on for pages and pages of back and forth. Surely someone must disagree? :D

Definitely 1 point though.... :)

omg did this thread cause a discussion at work today.
one has been saying a d/skt is 1 point
and other lad has been saying a d/skt is 2 points
both submitting said details on test sheets

so...
how many points would you count
a 2g switch as
3 lamp holder chandelier
s/f/s + s/skt fed off it

omg did this thread cause a discussion at work today.
one has been saying a d/skt is 1 point
and other lad has been saying a d/skt is 2 points
both submitting said details on test sheets

so...
a 2g switch as
3 lamp holder chandelier
s/f/s + s/skt fed off it

Whoever is convinced that it's two points etc., get them to have a look at page 27 of the BRB.

Point (in wiring). A termination of the fixed wiring intended for the the connection of current-using equipment.

One termination of fixed wiring for current using equipment, means one point. So no matter whether has a million lamps, it's still one point. Double socket has one termination, so one point, etc., etc....

a 2g switch as
3 lamp holder chandelier
s/f/s + s/skt fed off it
I would count a 2g switch as 1 point. The wires are taken to one point in the building, there is one point to open for testing and there is one electrical accessory there (the switch). If the light switch includes two circuits, eg hall & landing lights, then I would count it as a point on each circuit.

's/f/s + s/skt fed off it' presumably means switched fused spur supplying a single socket. Sounds like two points.

Dont think you should be counting light switches as a point. Same with an FCU feeding a socket, I'd take that as 1 point.
The important bit is 'connection of current using equipment'. On the NIC test sheet, it says 'points SERVED'.
They are less concerned about connections, and more about points actually drawing current.
Thats my interpretation, and how our qualifying manager has advised us.

The way I've looked at it is that a switch is:
  • another point to be earthed
  • another point where tests can be taken
  • another accessory for the customer to choose
I thought that the number of points was recorded for the benefit of the next electrician to work on the circuit. What if a circuit has no CPC & a switch gets changed for a metal one? The electrician must be made aware of all these switches on the circuit and ensure their safety.

Maybe this is the wrong way to interpret the regs, but it is what I have been doing.

As Chris said earlier, you could interpret 'connections of current using equipment' as meaning a triple socket is three points and a light fitting with five bulbs is five points. Like lots of things in the regs, this is open to interpretation. I suppose I'll need to dig out the OSG.

i had a look in the brb and started with definitions:
point(in wiring) a termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current-using equipment.
so a light switch has a temination of the fixed wiring for the connection of current - using equipment:
that current - using equipment being; the lamp holder?

According to Kitcher in 'Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations',
Number of points served: How many outlets or items of fixed equipment are on the circuit?

Just realised that this isn't asked for on the IEE forms, so it doesn't feature in the OSG or the regs.

Reply to number of points served in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net