Discuss Number of Points Served. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No, I have always been lead to believe that 1 single socket = 1 double socket = 1 fused spur = 1 point
in other words the number of points served = the number of breaks in your cable.

I agree with the above post, however i know many will disagree..

The way i see it is why do you have to state the number of points on the scedule ?.....Surely the total number is mainly irrelevant in operational terms......But when undergoing Inspection the the Electrician can tell how many outlets
[POINTS] he has to locate... hidden behind furniture obstacles etc...if alterations have been made since the last Inspection .,Certification should have been provided updating this information.

regards...........spark1

Good question i was taught that 1 double socket counts as 2 points .In the 16th ed of OSG the way it is worded is slightly ambiguous could be read either way .One double socket has the potential to draw twice the current of a single current .So noting it down as 2 points makes sense to me.

Its the point of connection.

IE one for a double socket, single socket etc, one for a light fitting, regardless of how many lamps.

i was taught single or double is still one point ;)

Yep indeed!

HI Jason could you point me to some text regarding your post my good man

Yeah. What i said above:D:D:D

Sorry, no as that is what i was taught, same as Flukey.

Kinda makes sense really as your not going to count say, 4 lamps on a track light for eg. This would be classed as one fitting or point.:)

To be honest, i dont really think its that important.

I would be concentrating more on satisfactory test results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep indeed!

Yeah. What i said above:D:D:D

Sorry, no as that is what i was taught, same as Flukey.

Kinda makes sense really as your not going to count say, 4 lamps on a track light for eg. This would be classed as one fitting or point.:)

To be honest, i dont really think its that important.

I would be concentrating more on satisfactory test results.

No its just one of those niggly --- bits that i/people would like to know for sure .So your safe in the knowledge that what your writing down is correct and if challenged can say with authority.

You have to ask why we put the number of points in the first place.

Your track light although one connection has 4 lamps 4x 100watts for example so its drawing more current

Have been to a few jobs where lights keep popping, on further investigation turns out lights have been doubled up 20 lights on 1- 6 amp mcb.

So with this scenario number of lamps at a light ie 4 lamps on one spot has a relevance. that would be my take on it

the only thing i can find in the regs that comes close
is how a socket outlet is descibed in
and thats as clear as mud.
i have looked through the brb and osg.

So your safe in the knowledge that what your writing down is correct and if challenged can say with authority.

As i said before this is what i was taught.

Im not saying its right or wrong as i think its just to confirm that there isnt for example, 100 lights on one circuit, but in my opinion is not as important as satisfactory test results.

Maybe a call to your scheme provider will give you the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys for all your feedback
Still confused as to what is correct. It makes perfect sense to count a twin socket as 1 Point,
However it also makes sense to count it as 2, I will continuie to plough my way through my reference
books to find where I read it, When I find it I will repost.
Thanks again for all your help.:confused:

If you look in the on site guide 16th edition Not sure of the page No and not going to look anway

The IEE recomends a particular amount of points for a domestic

The lounge area advises 5 outlets

Now at the bottom of the figure it says in italics
All sockets are twin

Now if 5 outlets are considered as singles that would be 2 and a half twin sockets installed
Doesn't make any sense does it?

It would make no sense to consider an outlet as a single under these guidlines,so

My view is that the IEE considers an outlet whether single,twin.tripple to be counted as 1 point of utilisation

Niceic man pulled me up on my certs, he says twin or single its 1 point served. A light fitting with 10 lights on is also 1 point served. hope that helps dave

Reply to Number of Points Served. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock