Discuss Number of sparks in U.K in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Marty48

Hi everyone, does anybody know how many electricians there are in England , Scotland, Wales and Ireland? The minimum level is City and Guilds installation A. Not required to have part P or N.I.C registered etc.
Waddya think?:confused:

Hi everyone, does anybody know how many electricians there are in England , Scotland, Wales and Ireland? The minimum level is City and Guilds installation A. Not required to have part P or N.I.C registered etc.
Waddya think?:confused:

well whatever number you come up with, you can minus one from it because by your defenition i am not an 'electrician'

so thats only 25 years i have been 'winging' it for then

wonder what i am really:rolleyes:

well ive asked everybody at work and there are a lot "one qualification short of a certificate"

sorry shakey didnt mean to exclude anyone, how have you been "winging it" then. thought there had to be some form of qualification to work as spark. most proffesions seem to police themselves in this way. perhaps you have bs 7517 or similar? what does everyone else have?:(

i'll finish this one, taken from this book "pratical guide to inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations" very decent book anyway, thought i'd quote the book title before i get told off. here :

"currently, there is no requirement for any person carrying out electrical work in a domestic environment to be quailfied in any way. The condition is that they must be competent; in other words, they must be in possession of appropriate technical knowledge or experience to enable them to carry out the work safely

There are Part p Courses being provided by many training bodies, although it is not a requirement that you attend one of these courses or any other course which is being offered. However, it is impossible to become an electrician in 5 days"

That ones for u shakey, so you don't bite sum1's head off, and my I need to get my post count up, cus cirrus is doubling me, although I could wack a zero on the end of mine :)

regards

Cheating is not an option Luke and you don't want me to start deleting posts now do ya?

i'll finish this one, taken from this book "pratical guide to inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations" very decent book anyway, thought i'd quote the book title before i get told off. here :

"currently, there is no requirement for any person carrying out electrical work in a domestic environment to be quailfied in any way. The condition is that they must be competent; in other words, they must be in possession of appropriate technical knowledge or experience to enable them to carry out the work safely

There are Part p Courses being provided by many training bodies, although it is not a requirement that you attend one of these courses or any other course which is being offered. However, it is impossible to become an electrician in 5 days"

That ones for u shakey, so you don't bite sum1's head off, and my I need to get my post count up, cus cirrus is doubling me, although I could wack a zero on the end of mine :)

regards

good quote Luke (I am familiar with the book)

and considering the domestic market is MORE regulated that commercial/industrial because of Part P, well.....I am sure you can work it out:p

good quote Luke (I am familiar with the book)

and considering the domestic market is MORE regulated that commercial/industrial because of Part P, well.....I am sure you can work it out:p

Sorry guys but is there any ideas on the original question ?
not looking for exact number but educated guess will help.:confused:

Sorry guys but is there any ideas on the original question ?
not looking for exact number but educated guess will help.:confused:

ok 25,000

no

i mean 50,000

who knows, and what context is the question being asked?

and why have you narrowed it down to such a particular question level ?

And what about people who are qualifeied but currently 'out of trade', i.e. unemployed, retired, pushing trolleys in tesco's car park

the question, as it was presented, is meaningless:eek:

ok 25,000

no

i mean 50,000

who knows, and what context is the question being asked?

and why have you narrowed it down to such a particular question level ?

And what about people who are qualifeied but currently 'out of trade', i.e. unemployed, retired, pushing trolleys in tesco's car park

the question, as it was presented, is meaningless:eek:

Shakey i have a tool for stripping armored cable, a working prototype.
when i go and see the suits with the cash the 1st thing they ask is "what is your market size" I know not all sparks will buy it and i predict that it will be mainly bought by firms with 5+ workers or self employed who cant afford time off cos they just took a couple of fingers off with the stanley.

Again i thought that this site would be the best place to get the info as its for sparks, regardless of their level of qualifications . hope you can help:( the city and guilds lot will not give me any help

Last edited by a moderator:
so in fact you require a clever, intelligent answer to the question .
asking how many sparks wont give you your market size, knowing how much swa terminations there is on a job (most commercial /industrial jobs use swa to a degree) will help .stand by for some witty answers

ive got an offcut of 3 core 2.5mm swa in me garage

sorry just got the idea of the thread, you have a working prototype of a swa stripper tool, if youre off to see the dragons or somebody else then theyll also ask if you have intellectual rights to this etc? or if anybody else can go ahead and make one, to which you would have to respond with "you can buy a swa stripper tool, from any good wholesalers"

on the total number of sparks in the country thing, not sure how you could arrive at a realistic figure? (office of national statistics or..?) or like wayne said find out how much swa is been bought in the uk, compared with hacksaw blades?

all the best matey,
rich

Last edited:
so in fact you require a clever, intelligent answer to the question .
asking how many sparks wont give you your market size, knowing how much swa terminations there is on a job (most commercial /industrial jobs use swa to a degree) will help .stand by for some witty answers

sorry wayne but the number of sparks is the only way to assess the market place as they are the ones who will be buying it(hopefully). this tool is similar to a conduit bender in the number used, that is to say most firms have one, but there not used everyday. last job i had involved s.w.a cable every week (lighting grids) so i obviously would have bought this.
have spoken to bussiness advisors who repeatedly ask "how many" .doesnt mean they will all want one but its a start point.:(

id of thought there must be some way of finding out some info, but youre gonna need to have a minimum qualification level to base results from? which is a can of worms as not all sparkies have the same quals. have you tried google?!
how big is this tool, is it literally as big as a conduit bender?, like you say is it not just gonna be aimed at big firms and the odd self employed chap, rather than something that all sparks may wanna buy and pop in there tool bag?

rich

Reply to Number of sparks in U.K in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock