Discuss Nuts for RCDs! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan23584

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced other sparks going nuts for RCD's and thinking they are required for pretty much everything?

I recently did the installation at my local CEF branch and had another spark telling me I should have fitted a dual RCD board! I reminded him that the install was in trunking and conduit ( no less than 50mm issue) and also not in a domestic situation. All sockets were in The office, apart form an outside RCD socket and a couple of sockets in the warehouse that were on an rcbo ( they were near the door to outside).

He still said "well I think it's good practice to fit them in most situations for optimising protection". I just bot my tongue told him to check his regs book and went on about my merry way.

These were for computers, and not accessible by any members of the public so for use by supervised or trained people. In there H&S it covers the use and misuse of socket outlets. He was saying I should have fit a dual RCD board to protect everything!

These were for computers, and not accessible by any members of the public so for use by supervised or trained people. In there H&S it covers the use and misuse of socket outlets. He was saying I should have fit a dual RCD board to protect everything!
I would of done the same in a office environment, last thing they would want is all there computers going down just because a bulb goes in a light, or somebody plugs a dodgy item in a socket in warehouse. Looks like you did the best protection for the job in hand.

As long as regulation 411.3.3 is met then what you have done is perfectly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I would of done the same in a office environment, last thing they would want is all there computers going down just because a bulb goes in a light, or somebody plugs a dodgy item in a socket in warehouse. Looks like you did the best protection for the job in hand.

Just because it is in a office area and may nuisance trip is no reason to by pass the regs.

I find that a lot of domestic sparks think that the dual RCD board is the end all and be all of boards. RCD everything is their answer. Not always needed or best practice

Whose signing it of for Design, installation and testing ?..You ? if so whatever you do comes back to your door, if someone else is signing it off..that's thier problem ! The computer scenario, yes I agree with, consider putting IT on a high integrity earth circuit, labeled appropriately,and noted on the cert, in any other scenario this 'instructed persons' clause just sucks, you can absolutely 100% guarantee can you that an 'ordinary person' ISN'T going to use these sockets ? I doubt it ! For sockets I would alway RCD them UNLESS I can justify that under no circumstances ever will they be used by 'ordinary persons' or members of the public.
ATB
J

It is me designing and inspecting the install, I feel confident that the installation I have done is safe and meets all the requirements in the BGB. There few occasions where fitting a nn RCD protected circuit supplying socket outlets is suitable and I believe this to be one of them. too many sparks think that RCD's are the only way to have a safe installation, I bet everyone and there mum was getting electric shocks before RCD's were introduced.

It is me designing and inspecting the install, I feel confident that the installation I have done is safe and meets all the requirements in the BGB. There few occasions where fitting a nn RCD protected circuit supplying socket outlets is suitable and I believe this to be one of them. too many sparks think that RCD's are the only way to have a safe installation, I bet everyone and there mum was getting electric shocks before RCD's were introduced.

if your signing it off..it's your call, but equally I don't feel if someone did RCD a similar circuit, that makes them 'wrong' and you 'right' it's up to the designer to interpret the regs and apply them as they see fit, and for the signatory, in this case you, to sign it off, if the cleaner cops an --- winder off her vacuum fed from your non RCD sockets, it's you that has to justify that interpretation, in this case you feel you can so its all good !
J

Obviously the cost of splitting RCD circuits for IT is going to come into play, but me personally can't see a reason not to RCD protect virtually all socket outlets these days.

But it is your --- on the line should the brown stuff hit the fan.

Reading this, Makes me wonder how we have all survived without RCD devices over all these years... We should all be dead or frightened to switch a light or socket on...lol!!

I'm with Dan on this one, far too much reliance on the all singing, all dancing ''Cover All'' RCD devices these day's. They are NOT always required on every circuit and in every situation...

Reading this, Makes me wonder how we have all survived without RCD devices over all these years... We should all be dead or frightened to switch a light or socket on...lol!!

I'm with Dan on this one, far too much reliance on the all singing, all dancing ''Cover All'' RCD devices these day's. They are NOT always required on every circuit and in every situation...

Who said they were ? The OP was seemingly criticising another sparks interpretation of the need for RCD protection on his installation, as stated its his call, that doesn't make the other guy completely wrong !
J

Reply to Nuts for RCDs! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock