Discuss NVQ 2330 interview in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobajob

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading with interest for a while.:) I have applied to do the C&G 2330 L2 course at my local college. I am 35 and have decided to re-train. They have asked me to attend an interview along with a literacy and numeracy test.

Has anyone else been to such an interview? Could you perhaps tell me what to expect? What sort of tests are involved? Also any pointers as to what they will be looking for in the interview?

Thanks Colin

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum. I have also applied for the abovementioned course at 2 seperate colleges and both asked me the same.

However, one of the colleges phoned me yesterday and told me that, due to being a mature student and working in the trade I do not have to attend an interview (it was scheduled for Friday).

Now, the other college has told me to attend for an interview, test, etc. The reasons are, basically.

1) To see if this is the right course for you
2) To test your aptitude, attitude, commitment etc.

I've seen a sample test paper and it's nothing too taxing as I completed the majority mentally (you can use a calculator).

Obviously there are many people on here (Cirrus for one) who have actually completed the abovementioned course and they are in a much more informed position to tell you the ins and outs.

Either way, hope this helps some.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The first college basically said, turn up on enrolment day, sign your name, pay your deposit and your in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this a couple of years ago at Bournemouth & Poole college. To my recollection there were:

2 multiple choice written tests with questions like "what is the next number in the sequence", "what is the next shape in the sequence", "1 is to 2 what A is to ..."

A colour vision test (the one with the numbers written in pastel coloured dots)

A manual dexterity test involving twisting a bit of wire to make a shape

A short informal one-to-one interview - "why do you want to be an electrician", "are you afraid of heights" etc

I was nervous before my assessment, but it's really just to filter out chavs and wasters.

Thanks guys for the useful posts. I was just a bit worried because I left school 20 years ago. I got good results but was worried mainly about the maths in case it included algebra etc... I feel much better, again thanks to your posts.

My test is next Thursday at 9:30 am.

Unfortunately I can't comment on entrance exams because I was classed as 'admittable' because I had A-levels and was working as a 'mate'. I did attend an interview which was about 2 mins long in which I was asked about my A-levels and told that the maths and physics element of the course would be quite complex. At the end of the 2 mins I was told they would offer me an unconditional place.

I didn't do A levels, but I got an 'A' on GCSE Physics and a 'B' in Maths.

Hopefully that will give me enough grounding.

I think you will be fine Colin - good luck mate

I think you will be fine Colin - good luck mate

Just and update,

I have been offered a place and paid for it. So I will be starting my course in September.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Yes, I'm well happy.

The test was computer based. There was multiple choice in maths and english. It got harder the better you did. I was really happy that I got quite good results. The instructor said I might find the first year very easy, but I think he was just being nice. The interview was just "why do you want to be an electrician", etc...

Im of a similar age and when I started on this course the college I am at didn't do a entry test and most of the students had real problems with the maths. Stuff like moving formulae around and fractions. Over the two years we lost about 70% of the students, it would have been better for those people to have known at the start they would need to bring their maths / science up to scratch. I would say that if you did 'O' level maths and physics you have got virtually all the science needed for lvl 2. The thing I dont understand was why they insisted on doing AC theory without using complex numbers, it makes it about 30x harder/ slower, well maybe next year on lvl 3 they will

Im of a similar age and when I started on this course the college I am at didn't do a entry test and most of the students had real problems with the maths. Stuff like moving formulae around and fractions. Over the two years we lost about 70% of the students, it would have been better for those people to have known at the start they would need to bring their maths / science up to scratch. I would say that if you did 'O' level maths and physics you have got virtually all the science needed for lvl 2. The thing I dont understand was why they insisted on doing AC theory without using complex numbers, it makes it about 30x harder/ slower, well maybe next year on lvl 3 they will

Hi,

Thanks for your information. It is important. I have got some my ideals.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at: [FONT=&quot]Electrical interview questions and answers[/FONT]

Rgs.

Reply to NVQ 2330 interview in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock