Discuss NVQ Provider - looking for recommendations in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've gained my EAL level 2 diploma, City and Guilds 2365 level 3 diploma, 17th and 18th edition and 2391 over the past 2 years .I've been on the tools for over a year now, and I feel its time to go for the NVQ.

I'm at a loss as to which provider to go with. My training so far has been a mixture of college and training sheds, so I'm familiar with both attitudes. Training centres are happy to take your money but offer little support (in my experience), whereas I'm struggling to find a college locally that will offer the NVQ.

So yeah, I'm after people's thoughts, recommendations and experience with providers so I can make some sort of informed choice (read, roll of the dice).

I'm based in Corby, Northamptonshire, but I'm aware quite a few training providers travel nationwide.

Also, I was advised that if you've completed the level 3 2365 this year (like me), you don't need to do the bridging unit for the NVQ... Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. I've had a look and have made an initial enquiry with XS training. The remote assessments was something that put me off when I first came across their website. Does it work well? Anyone here used the assessor completed portfolio option?

The remote assessment is fantastic. They video call you and take pictures along the way and you speak to them through headphones. So they can be done with a lot less planning than if an assessor had to come to site. The assessor completed one is also fantastic. I have 4 children so didn’t have lots of time in the evening so doing that way really helped me. If you need any other advice or have any questions then feel free to message me. I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough

If I was in your neck of the woods I’d look at Tresham College Kettering where I believe GSH Electrical (As on YouTube) appear to do their stuff. No idea of the range of courses they do but from what I seen they appear to be well equipped and support their students.

FatAlan, Gaz on GSH taught me at level 2, but unfortunately they don't do NVQs.

casperLennon, is 2 assessments enough, and do these assessments last for long?

Yeah. Each time you have an assessment it covers quite a lot. They send you a list of things you have to cover and if you plan it right then you can get quite a bit done in one. At the end of it all you have to have what they call a professional conversation which is yourself explaining what’s happening in each picture and they ask you some questions

Reply to NVQ Provider - looking for recommendations in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net