Discuss NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, Ive had a NAPIT qualified electrician out to install a new feed to the garage along with a new consumer unit in there. Its a short distance of around 6m and the cable he used was a 16mm NYY cable, it has been directly buried around 300mm depth with yellow warning tape, It goes under a few paving slabs but mostly its a graveled area.

Is this installation totally 100% in accordance with current building regulations/standards?

When he came to quote I asked for armored cable, he even specced SWA in the written quote but on the day I noticed it was this NYY cable. He said its all OK and he has passed the Part P certificate onto my local authority. When I questioned him after the job he said its easier to use and bend and things have changed over the years and this cable is fine to use in the installation. He said there is no price difference too.

What are people's thughts?

The NYY cable range includes NYY-J and NYY-O cables. These are widely used European power and control cables designed for fixed wiring installation with a voltage rating of 600/1000V. They can be safely deployed in most applications where mechanical stresses are not anticipated – indoors, outdoors, direct burial underground, in concrete, or submerged in water. When NYY cables are required to comply with the UK wiring regulations BS7671 for burial in the ground, they require installation in a conduit or duct to provide protection against mechanical damage. They are not suitable for installation in concrete which is shaken, vibrated or compressed.

It would look like it may not be suitable for the job.

NYY cable is not suitable for direct burial imo.

However I have seen it done numerous times with no ill effect years later. That said I wouldn’t be too happy if someone used it at my house, especially if I had specified swa.

I’ve just moved house and someone wired a water feature in SY! Some people have some funny ideas.

No, it should be armoured. Hi tuff is OK but shouldn't be laid underground, unless protected.
Armoured cable explains itself......
and the armour should be earthed, protecting the cable and whoever may be involved if any damage occurs.

NYY cable is not suitable for direct burial imo.

However I have seen it done numerous times with no ill effect years later. That said I wouldn’t be too happy if someone used it at my house, especially if I had specified swa.

I’ve just moved house and someone wired a water feature in SY! Some people have some funny ideas.
not just your opinion,
also mine,
also @ipf
also the manufacturers
also BS7671

Not got many votes to say otherwise either!!

not just your opinion,
also mine,
also @ipf
also the manufacturers
also BS7671

Not got many votes to say otherwise either!!
The bloke must be an idiot or a shyster, coming out with such rubbish.
Disgrace to the trade, I say.

If he won't change it, report it to Napit......and Nipit in the bud!!!!........Hopefully.

It's even worse if he quoted for SWA in the first place. He really needs to come back and redo this.
I've had an email confirmation now from him that it conforms with current regulations. I really can be arsed with it and whilst Id rather it was SWA he has confirmed it conforms so it seems like it would be a struggle.

I can and will sue him if there is a problem in the future, subject that he doesn't emigrate abroad or something!

As a side question do NAPIT or NICEIC assist you in any way if the original electrician is no longer registered or company dissolved etc/ not trading etc.

I've had an email confirmation now from him that it conforms with current regulations. I really can be arsed with it and whilst Id rather it was SWA he has confirmed it conforms so it seems like it would be a struggle.

I can and will sue him if there is a problem in the future, subject that he doesn't emigrate abroad or something!

As a side question do NAPIT or NICEIC assist you in any way if the original electrician is no longer registered or company dissolved etc/ not trading etc.

So he says it conforms. Well, it's up to you whether you believe him, or the opinion of several respected electricians on here.

But bear in mind he quoted for SWA, and you paid for SWA.

And even if it doesn't bother you, there is now a potentially dangerous cable in place.

Last edited:
You need to contact NAPIT now. In complaint situations they suggest you contact the contractor first, you have done this and have proof. NAPIT should now be able to act because that type of cable requires additional mechanical protection if buried according to the UK requirements for electrical installations, BS7671.

Your concern that it is not up to the correct standards is justified.

so the first question is

Is this installation totally 100% in accordance with current building regulations/standards?

Answer NO, it is not compliant with BS7671 (electrical installations) so therefore it is NOT compliant with building regulations.

When he came to quote I asked for armored cable, he even specced SWA in the written quote but on the day I noticed it was this NYY cable. He said its all OK and he has passed the Part P certificate onto my local authority.

NYY is not armoured, you have been given a product that in this application is inferior to the specification.

They may have passed the certificate onto the local authority for part P compliance but it is not compliant in the first place.

The contractor has made a mistake, feel free to email them a link to this post.
in my opinion, they should just bite the bullet, come back and replace the cable with SWA or if they prefer, install some ducting to run the cable in.

We all get things wrong every now and then. a mistake can be made, it is how we deal with them that sets the good tradesmen (and women) above everybody else.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'd imagine that if he became aware that you were entertaining talking to NAPIT about the job, and given that he has hung himself by writing an email saying it complies, he'd prefer to get the opportunity to put things right.
Maybe just say that other electricians are questioning the compliance of using that cable with that installation method, and you would either like it replaced, or would like to approach NAPIT to be 100% sure.
It's only 6m not the channel tunnel so I'd have thought he'd bite the bullet and get digging.

I've had an email confirmation now from him that it conforms with current regulations.
It doesn't comply with bs7671:

Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage, a cable buried in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or metal sheath or both, suitable for use as a protective conductor. The location of buried cables shall be marked by cable covers or a suitable marker tape.
Buried conduits and ducts shall be suitably identified. Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonably foreseeable disturbance of the ground.
NOTE: BS EN 61386-24 is the standard for underground conduits.

Another no vote from me, sorry. There has been a misunderstanding of the Regulations to think unarmored cable is suitable for direct burial.

Another no vote from me, sorry. There has been a misunderstanding of the Regulations to think unarmored cable is suitable for direct burial.
Also it is often not clear from the cable suppliers that this is the case, for example here it has no mentioned of the BS wiring regs:
"NYY-J Cable is a non armoured mains cable that can be installed indoors where there is little chance of mechanical damage. It can be installed in open air, underground, in water and also in brickwork and concrete with the exception of shaken, vibrated or compressed concrete."

Where has here they say the cable is suitable for direct burial in many cases, but point out the BS regs don't allow it without additional physical protection:
"These are widely used European power and control cables designed for fixed wiring installation with a voltage rating of 600/1000V. They can be safely deployed in most applications where mechanical stresses are not anticipated – indoors, outdoors, direct burial underground, in concrete, or submerged in water. When NYY cables are required to comply with the UK wiring regulations BS7671 for burial in the ground, they require installation in a conduit or duct to provide protection against mechanical damage. They are not suitable for installation in concrete which is shaken, vibrated or compressed."

The armour of SWA is not just for mechanical protection. In the event of a cable penetration accident with a spade, pick, mechanical digger, etc, it serves to short out the supply and cause it to disconnect on the over-current protection (supply fuse or MCB). Often such sub-mains do not have RCD protection as it is down-stream in the garage CU, etc, making that a very important point.

Last edited:
It's a 'no' from me if there's no mechanical protection, unfortunately.

Think the OP was hoping for nothing but good news though if they've been given advice against what has been done and isn't going to do anything with it. Would have been better off not asking and sticking with ignorance is bliss! ?

Give him a chance to report the guy!

It was late last night that the 100% confirmation that this is wrong, and most people sleep overnight.

He may give the electrician one more chance to put right (all correspondences in writing!) before going to NAPIT.

Give him a chance to report the guy!

It was late last night that the 100% confirmation that this is wrong, and most people sleep overnight.

He may give the electrician one more chance to put right (all correspondences in writing!) before going to NAPIT.

I know what you mean, but also read post 8.

Yes. I read #8, and no reply from him since then, even though there was plenty input from the forum.

I’m hoping he is thinking about it, and will confront the spark ASAP.

I just don’t think we should assume he’s ignoring us just because he hasn’t replied from 7pm yesterday. You never know, he might have a life that doesn’t involve sitting on a forum all night.

All I’m saying is wait a few days. ?

Reply to NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock