Discuss Oak Shingle Roof on SIP panels, advice needed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cplev

Hi all

I have an install in the next few days on an oak shingle roof. Technically they are shakes - i.e. they are split oak rather than sawn, various widths, with a three ply overlap. They are laid on 25x50 battens nailed to SIP panels. The SIP panel is a bonded 18mm OSB/100mm insulation/18mm OSB sandwich.

I plan to use slate hooks, since the crank in the hook(possibly plus some ply packing) and their length will help them get up and over the layer of shingles attached to the batten below, then flash above the hook with lead, and apply mastic under and dress the lead down over the hook.
The advantage of the SIP panel is that there are no rafters to find as such, since the whole roof surface is effectively an 18mm sheet of OSB. Removing the shingles is difficult, since they are fixed with stainless annular ring nails......

Any comments on this approach welcomed, and any advice on how to remove shingles or get to the roof surface would be appreciated.

Should I just use a hole cutter, for example, to cut a hole through to the roof surface, then cut a slot below the hole to accommodate the roof hook?

To remove enough shingles using a slate ripper(difficult) may leave a big area to replace shingles/apply flashing after the roof hook is fitted?

Advice really welcomed at this stage....!

Chris

Hmm, I'd say the slate ripper/replace shingles and apply flashing method sounds the right way.

Sounds tricky but let us know how you get on - pictures are always handy.

Reply to Oak Shingle Roof on SIP panels, advice needed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net