Discuss Observing fire detection shortfalls on EICRs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The way I look at it is when you step outside the reach of the EICR the coding system does not apply, say you are testing the landlord section of a HMO and it has an obvious issue with a damaged cable to a call point, technically it is all part of the electrical installation but I would argue the F/A unless it is a old mains system would not be subject to the EICR, at most you could report on the condition of the supply to the panel.
As others have said, if you start making comments then you need to agree to this with the client and it wouldn't be included as part of the EICR either, F/A reports and documentation will need to be a separate inspection report and will need filing different, it also does not follow the coding system applied to an EICR, you better have full knowledge and understanding of the BS standards surrounding F/A design and installs as well as the changing recommendations we see as time goes by.
Lets just consider for 1min that you comment on a damaged sounder in a corridor and the landlord responds on it and you replace it, what if a fire occurs and a faulty smoke detector fails to operate the system, someone is badly injured or dies - think of the landlords defence team then asking what your understanding of the BS5839 is and why you gave the impression the EICR covered the F/A system by implementing recommendations and repairs to do on it.. this is a legal minefield and no one wants responsibility for a fatality so be careful you don't set yourself up legally for a big fall.
Your average HMO for example would often have weekly tests where call points or detectors are activated in rotation and at least a full annual inspection, I have one where I do 2 annual tests but half the install given its size so it is covered throughout the yr, no way would I inspect and report on the install without full knowledge of relevant regulations to cover it, so why would you entertain the idea when doing a EICR unless you are fully knowledge in such regulations, again the customer may get a false sense of security and a misguided view the system has been fully inspected, this could lead to a routine inspection been missed or delayed.

What exactly do you mean by shortfalls?

An out of date or missing smoke alarm as part of the electrical system I'm testing would be noted, a shortfall though lack of requisite alarms (if say a rental) isn't really in my scope although depending on your relationship with the landlord you may flag it up.

Reply to Observing fire detection shortfalls on EICRs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net