Discuss Occasional rcd tripping with microwave. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

denelectrics

Hi folks. Called out to micro tripping rcd occasionally. Customer bought new micro, but that is doing the same. I said, get the new one replaced ...just in case, which he did. Still the same. Only ever happens with the micro
Tested rcd and n-e, l-e, rcd testing ok on 0.5, 1X and 5X. Cant remember the figures, but tested fine.
Kitchen ring circuit n-e with washing machine and dishwash (both on d/p spurs) down to 150mohms with d/p switches on. 250mohms with d/p switches off.
Socket tests ok and no nipped neutrals anywhere. All other appliances test ok (not tested defrost on f/freezer yet)

Suggested he try micro next time with washing mach and dishwash switched off at wall, just to see if any difference.
Its still the same.

Cust wanting me to replace rcd, just in case.

Any suggestions.

What was the ramp test value? If the RCD is a bit dicey and tripping at say 18mA then it maybe just too low for the combined leakage.
Microwaves are not known for tripping RCDs, thogh they will produce leakage.
Have you checked for problems with the socket for the microwave, even though the IR results (I assume they are Mohm not mohm) are OK.

Suggested he try micro next time with washing mach and dishwash switched off at wall, just to see if any difference.

try with them unplugged. the freezer as well.

Hi folks. Called out to micro tripping rcd occasionally. Customer bought new micro, but that is doing the same. I said, get the new one replaced ...just in case, which he did. Still the same. Only ever happens with the micro
Tested rcd and n-e, l-e, rcd testing ok on 0.5, 1X and 5X. Cant remember the figures, but tested fine.
Kitchen ring circuit n-e with washing machine and dishwash (both on d/p spurs) down to 150mohms with d/p switches on. 250mohms with d/p switches off.
Socket tests ok and no nipped neutrals anywhere. All other appliances test ok (not tested defrost on f/freezer yet)

Its still the same.

Any suggestions.
if after ramp test there is still no solution why not put microwave on it own specifically labelled circuit and label socket MICROWAVE ONLY...on non rcd side obviously

Its still the same.

Any suggestions.

What was the client cooking?

if after ramp test there is still no solution why not put microwave on it own specifically labelled circuit and label socket MICROWAVE ONLY...on non rcd side obviously

If its tripped on the old and new mircowave your suggestion isn't that ideal is it?

Could the microwave be plugged into the "other" rcd (if there is one)?

If its tripped on the old and new mircowave your suggestion isn't that ideal is it?

Could the microwave be plugged into the "other" rcd (if there is one)?
Hi folks. Called out to micro tripping rcd occasionally.
7000+ posts and you need to learn to read....

im no expert like yourself but im guessing this is an earth leakage issue,hence my suggestion to try on non rcd side of board,i never suggested it was an ideal solution but i dare say its more ideal than 'plugging' microwave into another rcd....try reading the post properly before you post snooty unhelpful comments. good lad.

Patronising folk isn't going to help you at all, there are safer ways at finding out earth leakage rather than the one you posted. Maybe you should research them to find out what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its still the same.

Any suggestions.

May be you need to explain this sentence

So what happens if the micro wave is faulted and leaking excessively to earth you are now leaving the premises in a more dangerous condition so IMO that is a definite no. The RCD is there for a reason and trips for a good reason if not faulted. Remember the IET guidelines for leakage are .75mA Portable or hand held & 3.5 mA other class 1 equipment !

If the old and new microwave is tripping the the RCD when used then maybe there is a problem with the socket it is wired into Just a thought

Reply to Occasional rcd tripping with microwave. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock