Discuss Odd cooker isolator position in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M-B-Electrical-Services

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just finished a domestic EICR where I found the cooker isolator to be smack bang in the middle of the actual cooker position.
The oven had a glass lid which, when lowered, automatically isolated the supply to the hobs.
I have noted it down as C3 due to the existing cooker lid covering it but, on reflection, I think I may be wrong on this and a C2 may be required.

The cooker isolator is on a tiled kitchen wall and significant destruction would be needed to move it which I doubt the landlord would entertain without a fight.

Where do I go with this? I know the regulations state that the isolator should be positioned at least 100mm from the cooker edge but this thing is right in the middle!! 😖

I know the regulations state that the isolator should be positioned at least 100mm from the cooker edge but this thing is right in the middle!! 😖
Do they? I'm not defending it as suitable for the environment, or compliant, or anything like that, but where have you come up with this arbitrary distance of 100mm?

Do they? I'm not defending it as suitable for the environment, or compliant, or anything like that, but where have you come up with this arbitrary distance of 100mm?
I clearly just made stuff up out of thin air didn't I based on my poor interpretation of the regs......😔

Ok, so there is no specific regulation for its positioning but it is clearly in a position where potential for heat damage.
I am happy to C3 it but as it is Private Rented, I need to cover my back.

There might be some examples given in one of the IET's Guide Notes as I do remember seeing something (not got them to hand just now).

Also there may be requirements in the building regulations, but I don't know.

"Part P of the Building Regulations states that there should be no outlets or accessories (cooker hoods excluded!) above any type of hob, nor within 300mm of the edge of the hob. Any socket outlet should be fitted so that it's centre is a minimum of 150mm above the top of the worktop.

In practice, the regulations may not be retrospective. Ie: If the existing kitchen was installed under previous regulations that didn't have the same constraints, then it may not be essential to move the socket outlet."

Extracted from an external source.

Part P of the Building Regulations states that there should be no outlets or accessories (cooker hoods excluded!) above any type of hob, nor within 300mm of the edge of the hob. Any socket outlet should be fitted so that it's centre is a minimum of 150mm above the top of the worktop.
Part P of the building regulations says no such thing ...

My copy of the 18th edition of "Electrician's guide to the buildings regulations" has this on page 70, section 5.2.3

(b) Cooker control switches, extractor fan switches, etc, should not be mounted so that it is necessary to lean or reach over gas or electric hobs for this operation.

(d) Accessories should be installed a minimum of:
(i) 300mm from the edge of kitchen sink and draining boards to reduce the risk of being splashed
(ii) 100mm horizontally from the edge of a hob
An accessory should not be located immediately above a hob due to the possibility of people reaching over suffering burns or the flexible cable of the equipment being damaged.

Last edited:
My copy of the 18th edition of "Electrician's guide to the buildings regulations" has this on page 70, section 5.2.3

(d) Accessories should be installed a minimum of:
(i) 300mm from the edge of kitchen sink and draining boards to reduce the risk of being splashed
(ii) 100mm horizontally from the edge of a hob
An accessory should not be located immediately above a hod due to the possibility of people reaching over suffering burns of the flexible cable of the equipment being damaged.

And the danger from falling bricks of course 😀

In all seriousness though, the way I sought the information I needed then, thinking it was correct without actually checking the facts first is actually a bit of an eye-opener for me. It has made me realise that I not only rely on those expensive books I've bought but, more importantly, I seriously NEED to get my head in them a bit more!!

I'm really annoyed at myself. I'm a professional electrician who takes pride in his work yet I fell at the first hurdle in this instance.

Gutted about it. 😔

I'm really annoyed at myself. I'm a professional electrician who takes pride in his work yet I fell at the first hurdle in this instance.

Gutted about it. 😔
Life is like that, but you live and learn and next time it will be easier.

You try and have pride in your work, that puts you well in to the top half of "practitioners" of electrics.

In all seriousness though, the way I sought the information I needed then, thinking it was correct without actually checking the facts first is actually a bit of an eye-opener for me. It has made me realise that I not only rely on those expensive books I've bought but, more importantly, I seriously NEED to get my head in them a bit more!!

Gutted about it. 😔
Been there done that...

I think the most prudent thing to do in this scenario is to highlight the cooker point position as a potentially dangerous item that will require re-positioning. I will add a note explaining my reasons and the danger leaving it in the position it is in could cause.

I think that will cover me as far as highlighting the issue and gets me out of any legal bother if the worst happens if the landlord chooses not to have it moved.

Thanks for the valued input guys/gals. 👍

Reply to Odd cooker isolator position in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net