Discuss Odd Jobbing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

ebow72

-
Reaction score
First off all, If this is in the wrong section, many apologies.

I am just after a bit of clarification really, if possible please.

I have just finished my Level 2 C&G 2330, with 1 term left to do plus all the exams (2391, AM2 and Part P) and whatever else will help.

Anyway, I have been doing some electrical work here and there for friends, family and word of mouth. It's been mainly replacing switches, sockets, moving light pendants, replacing breakers. Work I am confident doing. But what is the cut off point? As regards Part P? I know that new installs, rewires and adding a new circuit are a no no, but most other jobs are non notifiable then? If a rewire was done, would I need a qualified spark to complete testing and sign it off? I have been offered jobs like that, but have had to say no, just as I don't want to enter into something I am not legally allowed to do.I know I will need PLI too.
Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

First off all, If this is in the wrong section, many apologies.

I am just after a bit of clarification really, if possible please.

I have just finished my Level 2 C&G 2330, with 1 term left to do plus all the exams (2391, AM2 and Part P) and whatever else will help.

Anyway, I have been doing some electrical work here and there for friends, family and word of mouth. It's been mainly replacing switches, sockets, moving light pendants, replacing breakers. Work I am confident doing. But what is the cut off point? As regards Part P? I know that new installs, rewires and adding a new circuit are a no no, but most other jobs are non notifiable then? If a rewire was done, would I need a qualified spark to complete testing and sign it off? I have been offered jobs like that, but have had to say no, just as I don't want to enter into something I am not legally allowed to do.I know I will need PLI too.
Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

replacing breakers? do you then test the circuit?

You are legally allowed to work on any electrical installation if you feel your are competant to do so. There is nothing in law to stop anyone from doing work and there is no law also that requires you to have qualifications.

What is law is Part P and what you need and need not to notify. You can download a copy of Part P by just googling it and can see what and what not is notifiable.

If your not a member of a part P self certifiacation scheme then all work that is notifialbe MUST be notified to the Local Building Control by either yourself or the owner of the installation before work can commence, as you will need a building notice from them.

The LBC will then tell you waht they require before you can start work, many times they will want drawings or a scope of work informing them of what you intend to do. They will most likely as about your competance and if you have calibrated test instruments, depending on all this will be the course of action they will advise you on.

Morph - I have tested the circuit in the 2 occasions I changed them. They wasn't staying on. I checked voltage through the breaker. It was an old board certainly not 17th edition.

Malcolm - thanks for your reply too, has made matters a lot clearer now. Thanks.

might be an idea to find a frienly local registered sparks and do the bigger jobs you get offered together. he would obviously pay you for working with him with a bit on top for getting the work in.

Morph - I have tested the circuit in the 2 occasions I changed them. They wasn't staying on. I checked voltage through the breaker. It was an old board certainly not 17th edition.

Malcolm - thanks for your reply too, has made matters a lot clearer now. Thanks.

I think morph meant the sequence of tests that allow you to issue certification for the changing of a protective device.

I just replaced a breaker as it wouldn't function. Refused to stay closed as it was worn. Is replacing a breaker notifiable? Sorry to appear vague, I did check before hand. If I am misunderstanding you sorry again.

I just replaced a breaker as it wouldn't function. Refused to stay closed as it was worn. Is replacing a breaker notifiable? Sorry to appear vague, I did check before hand. If I am misunderstanding you sorry again.

No, not notifiable but you should issue at least a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate assuming the device characteristics were identical and a full Electrical Installation Certificate if any characteristics were changed.

Reply to Odd Jobbing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net