Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Odd Polariy Problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sivoodoo

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All,

Was testing a domestic installation prior to fitting a new cu:

1, No continuity on what appeared to be the a ring (was wired as a ring at cu), when i removed one of the legs (leg 1) I had L N reverse polarity at a spur (wired correctly), when I replaced the second leg (leg 2) at the cu the polarity was back to normal? Why would this be?

2. As mentioned there was no continuity between line conductors. But I had a reading of 20 Ohms between leg 1 and neutral at the neutral bar.

The house is a huge old place and has redundant circuits all over the place, bit of a nightmare to be honest rammed full of junk etc and difficult to get access.

Any ideas on the polarity issue,

Regards.

Simon

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
S

spark1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That continuity treading of 20ohms between L & N could indicate this is an Immersion heater feed and has been incorrectly wired up with one leg of the ring ...the other leg could be wired into a seperate fuseway. Try continuity test between leg 2 and any other 2.5mm2 cables at the board.

spark1

S

sivoodoo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for he reply,

"Try continuity test between leg 2 and any other 2.5mm2 cables at the board."

I did that and got nothing, though Im off back on Thursday to take the place apart! I may be some time.

Regards

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Reply to Odd Polariy Problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom