Discuss Odd Polariy Problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sivoodoo

Hi All,

Was testing a domestic installation prior to fitting a new cu:

1, No continuity on what appeared to be the a ring (was wired as a ring at cu), when i removed one of the legs (leg 1) I had L N reverse polarity at a spur (wired correctly), when I replaced the second leg (leg 2) at the cu the polarity was back to normal? Why would this be?

2. As mentioned there was no continuity between line conductors. But I had a reading of 20 Ohms between leg 1 and neutral at the neutral bar.

The house is a huge old place and has redundant circuits all over the place, bit of a nightmare to be honest rammed full of junk etc and difficult to get access.

Any ideas on the polarity issue,

Regards.

Simon

That continuity treading of 20ohms between L & N could indicate this is an Immersion heater feed and has been incorrectly wired up with one leg of the ring ...the other leg could be wired into a seperate fuseway. Try continuity test between leg 2 and any other 2.5mm2 cables at the board.

spark1

Thanks for he reply,

"Try continuity test between leg 2 and any other 2.5mm2 cables at the board."

I did that and got nothing, though Im off back on Thursday to take the place apart! I may be some time.

Regards

Reply to Odd Polariy Problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock