Discuss Odd request. Pre-war electrci clocks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've been asked if I can connect/get working an old (1920 or 30s) mantle clock. It's a little before my time! So do any of you know what's involved? I thought that the frequency might be an issue, but from a quick Google it appears not.

I’ve been waiting to use this drawing for a while.
The motors were Shaded Pole Synchronous. One problem is they can run either way, on the motor shaft you should find a little spring clip, this stops the motor running backwards. Check that it’s not stuck, give it a tiny bit of graphite lube, ground up pencil lead will do. Other than that the gears are gummed up. Put it in a tin with a bottle top in the bottom with paraffin in it. The fumes will lubricate the gearing and if it’s a wooden case do the wood good.
The clip is shown in red.
View attachment 14795

You should have guessed I'd come up with an odd answer.

As long as it was designed for use in the UK (50Hz), not the US (60Hz), it'll be OK.

The old mains clocks use a synchronous motor, speed dependent on mains frequency. The supply network frequency varies as they try to match the generation capacity to the load. You'll find that it gains and loses a little time through the day but over several days it should be spot on.

As long as it was designed for use in the UK (50Hz), not the US (60Hz), it'll be OK.

The old mains clocks use a synchronous motor, speed dependent on mains frequency. The supply network frequency varies as they try to match the generation capacity to the load. You'll find that it gains and loses a little time through the day but over several days it should be spot on.

I wouldn't be so sure, some areas particularly around the pits were on 25Hz up to the early 50's. Some vilages in the Nottingham field had 50Hz on one sided of the road and 25 on the other. You'll find out when it's only right 4 times a day.

Reply to Odd request. Pre-war electrci clocks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net