Discuss Off grid mobile home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Manfredmann

My cousin is a farmer and is sorting out his stockman with a mobile home which is off grid. For the moment a tractor powering a genny is topping up a battery array which is powering the home through a sunny boy inverter.

I was asked to do a really minor job for him, just moving a socket, but I started to look around a bit. I noticed that the mobile home (obviously TT) was earthed through the farmers favourite, some re-bar driven into the ground with some 10 mm earth cable wrapped around it. I had a couple of rods on the van so have driven them in. When I did a Ze I got a crazy result of over 2k ohms, which considering I was in a field with iron rich red Devon clay under me was quite surprising.

After a while of scratching my head I realised that the reading might be because of the genny, as the earth rods might just be a reference to earth for it.

My worry is that I can't satisfy myself that its all safe, as my meter (megger 1553) won't even let me do an rcd test for the same reason.

I don't have an earth resistance tester and I know sweet f a about gennys. Is there an easy straight forward way I can satisfy myself that the install is safe or do I just get some one in who knows this kind of set up.

knowing this forum I think I know what's coming...

My cousin is a farmer and is sorting out his stockman with a mobile home which is off grid. For the moment a tractor powering a genny is topping up a battery array which is powering the home through a sunny boy inverter.

I was asked to do a really minor job for him, just moving a socket, but I started to look around a bit. I noticed that the mobile home (obviously TT) was earthed through the farmers favourite, some re-bar driven into the ground with some 10 mm earth cable wrapped around it. I had a couple of rods on the van so have driven them in. When I did a Ze I got a crazy result of over 2k ohms, which considering I was in a field with iron rich red Devon clay under me was quite surprising.

After a while of scratching my head I realised that the reading might be because of the genny, as the earth rods might just be a reference to earth for it.

My worry is that I can't satisfy myself that its all safe, as my meter (megger 1553) won't even let me do an rcd test for the same reason.

I don't have an earth resistance tester and I know sweet f a about gennys. Is there an easy straight forward way I can satisfy myself that the install is safe or do I just get some one in who knows this kind of set up.

knowing this forum I think I know what's coming...
and?

make the joint good...test....cable CSA more than enough...

Went back for a proper look the other day, several things needed changing, but the culprit was at the genny end, no link between N +E. I'm guessing that was what Babylon was expecting, thanks for the replys! Must admit I started flapping a bit and posting questions before checking it out properly....

Reply to Off grid mobile home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net