Discuss off load/on load switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

staffok

Can anyone give a simple definition of on load and off load switching? Examples of each would be great, Am i right in thinking an emergency stop is a on load and a isolater a off load.
Thanks in advance.

A light switch is an on load device as it has current going through it when you break the circuit (also MCBs)
A main switch is an off load device as there is no current going through it when the circuit is broken

In other words you have switched off the load via the load switch before you turn the isolator etc etc, if any of you guys (and gals) use Merlin Gerin boards, the MCB switch should be turned off when the load has been removed.

Can anyone give a simple definition of on load and off load switching? Examples of each would be great, Am i right in thinking an emergency stop is a on load and a isolater a off load.
Thanks in advance.
yes. you are right. isolators are usually switched with no load, however, who turns off all the MCBs in a CU before turning the main isolatgor on. it'sa bit of an overlap between the 2.

So l am doing something right then. I regularly turn off MCBs before turning off the main switch. It's a practice ive followed because of something my tutor told me regarding sparks appearing at the main switch, if you don't.

However due to nerves on my Level 3, l was so paranoid about doing safe isolation (failure to do this was instant ejection from exam for safety reasons) that l flicked off the main switch, then the isolater, then locked off, then the MCBs. Yeah l know the totally wrong order.

Does the same apply to then RCDs Teletrix? Should they be opened as well before opening Main Switch?

still struggling to understand the difference here, can anybody give me some more examples of the two different types please?

As you correctly said switches are designed to be operated under load whereas isolators are not. They are basically doing the same thing but there are subtle differences. Switches will usually give you functional control of something and because they are designed to be operated under load the separating contacts are often specially hardened to resist the effects of arcing and they are also separated more quickly to reduce the chance of arcing.

Isolators will more likely be used to remove the supply to a circuit/s possibly for maintenance/repair. Because they are supposed to be operated without a load the contacts are not necessarily hardened and are not separated so quickly. If they are used as a switch it is common to see arcing (flashes) and for the contacts to be damaged.

So l am doing something right then. I regularly turn off MCBs before turning off the main switch. It's a practice ive followed because of something my tutor told me regarding sparks appearing at the main switch, if you don't.

However due to nerves on my Level 3, l was so paranoid about doing safe isolation (failure to do this was instant ejection from exam for safety reasons) that l flicked off the main switch, then the isolater, then locked off, then the MCBs. Yeah l know the totally wrong order.

Does the same apply to then RCDs Teletrix? Should they be opened as well before opening Main Switch?
if the MCBs fed by the RCD are opened, then there is no load on the RCD and therefore none on the main switch, so answer is it don't matter.

Well I’ve written it now so I’m posting it!

An off load switch has no facility to break the arc caused by the load.

On load has various methods of breaking the arc:
  • High speed opening with sufficient air gap
  • Arc splitters
  • Blow out coils
  • Arc chutes

On load can then be divided in to several types
  • Load making / load breaking
  • Fault making / load breaking
  • Fault making / fault breaking

Sorry to add to the confusion but you must do some study in the subject

Reply to off load/on load switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock