Discuss Off the shelf RCBO's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Morning guys, can anyone tell me what rcbos will fit in the place of an old wylex board. The mcbs say NB30 NB05 etc on front face of them.

Cheers

Did I say they were compatible, not sure I did.

I was simply making the point that you should always endeavour to fit the same make - mixing MCB's and RCBO's like dolly mixtures is bad practice IMHO.

I've yet to find any currently available RCBOs that will directly replace a Wylex NB MCB. The current NH range don't fit afaik. The only solution I've found so far is to use an off-board RCD in its own small enclosure.

IMO there is no such animal as a direct replacement RCBO for these MCBs. either a board change or fit an external RCD.

Well after this mornings first response to my Q, I went out and bought 2 x wylex RCBO`s then when out on first job i got the rest of responses come thru on my phone. Decided to not go to job cause would have been waste of time if the RCBO`s were not gonna fit. Here`s a pic of the board in question. I hope I can find a couple of RCBO`s to fit cause thru my lack of experience with old boards I`ve given the customer a price for 2 RCBO`s. Maybe someone can help. photo 2.JPG

I had cause to go in to my unit this afternoon. I have an old NB board there which I removed recently and haven't scrapped yet. I can confirm that the NS type of MCBs / RCBOs do not fit in place of the NBs.

As I said earlier, I have not found any other makes that do. At another job I put a 4 module Hager enclosure next to the NB board and fed this from a 30A way. I then redirected the lights and immersion circuits into the small enclosure with RCBOs.

I managed to get the Hager rcbo to go as its the only one with a shamfered back so it does not hit the neutral bar at the top.
Most don't like the mixing of makes as you can see and very offen the external rcd is the only way but it worked for me.

Hager MCBs / RCBOs have the same fitment pattern as NS type so how did you get them to fit in an NB board?

While I was at my unit I tried a Hager RCBO and cannot see how it would fit.

you can get a 2 module rcbo that fit those boards seen them on a couple of boards ive tested though i dont think you can buy them anymore.

Yeah, they're ABB ones. I have though on 1 occasion fitted Wylex NSB RCBOs to the last 3 ways in one of them old boards. They were the only ways that didn't obstruct the neutral bar. It was a tight fit but everything went back together as it should of.

Hot off the press from the April NICEIC newsletter. Thought it was worth posting as mixing brands has been discussed at length before:

Tony Cable’s Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is it permissible to use equipment (such as circuit-breakers, RCDs, main switches etc) made by one manufacturer in a consumer unit or distribution board which is made by another manufacturer?

A. Usually not. Manufacturers’ instructions for consumer units and distribution boards generally advise against this for technical reasons (such as potential overheating). Equipment from different manufacturers should not be mixed unless documentation is obtained from the consumer unit or distribution board manufacturer which confirms that the specific mixed arrangement is suitable for use in an assembly conforming to BS EN 60439-3.

Reply to Off the shelf RCBO's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net