Discuss off topic ( how to confuse an electrician ) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So my faithful laptop was getting a bit weary so thought it was time to upgrade. I had just got used to windows 7, but thought I would try windows 8 so I have just treat myself to a touch screen HP laptop 1 tb hard drive 8gb memory nice little laptop. but I suddenly feel really really old I have got tiles sliding from left to right . I move something then can't find it, then find something else and then can't move it :sad_smile: don't you just love technology. just wondered who else on here was using same set up i.e. windows 8 and touch screen. I think us old ones should stick together :rockon2:

no use asking me. i'm just getting the hang of electronics without valves inside.

I thought I was ok till this I already have iPhone and I pad and get on great with those, but i'm feeling a bit confused with windows 8 it's the work of the devil.

I'm still in XP never let me down :) not used windows 8 yet but from what I've seen it's same as the Xbox menu's and I don't like them.

Windows 7 is great. I am not sure Microsoft have learnt the lessons from that joke of an OS known as VISTA! Windows 8 may well go down the same route....I will be hanging onto Windows 7 for as long as I can.

So my faithful laptop was getting a bit weary so thought it was time to upgrade. I had just got used to windows 7, but thought I would try windows 8 so I have just treat myself to a touch screen HP laptop 1 tb hard drive 8gb memory nice little laptop. but I suddenly feel really really old I have got tiles sliding from left to right . I move something then can't find it, then find something else and then can't move it :sad_smile: don't you just love technology. just wondered who else on here was using same set up i.e. windows 8 and touch screen. I think us old ones should stick together :rockon2:

Ive just got a new laptop with windows 8, im struggaling just the same

Got a laptop with W7 on it and a 10" android tablet when I am on the move to collect my emails got a blackberry phone so got a mix and wont upgrade unless I am forced to

Having just fried my PC I am now on a W8 laptop and starting to get the hang of it, though it is certainly not designed to actually be used!
I do not use the start page only the desktop, the screen layout with incoming start and something or another side bars is a mess.
Just waiting on a new CPU to get back to XP!

go to iobit's website

and install start8

this will bring back the startmenu and you wont have to use the horrible tile interface.

if you cant find internet explorer to get this far.

1. turn pc/laptop on

2. hold "start/windows" key and press "r"

3. in the run box that apears type iexplore.exe

4. go to the website and install start8 or alternative.

I always think of Homer Simpson in front of his screen, reading "To start, press any key"...
then staring at the keyboard muttering "Where's the 'any' key"?

A woman customer called the Canon help desk with a problem with her printer.
Tech support: Are you running it under windows?
Customer: No, my desk is next to the door, but that is a good point. The man sitting in the cubicle next to me is under a window, and his printer is working fine.

Of course, some problems are just basic.
Customer: I’m having trouble with WordPerfect.
Tech Support: What sort of trouble?
Customer: Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.
Tech Support: Went away?
Customer: They disappeared.
Tech Support: Hmm. So what does your screen look like now
Customer: Nothing. It's blank; it won’t accept anything when I type.
Tech Support: Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?
Customer: How do I tell?
Tech Support: (Uh-oh. Well, let’s give it a try anyway.) Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?
Customer: What’s a sea-prompt?
Tech Support: (Uh-huh, thought so. Let’s try a different tack.) Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?
Customer: There isn’t any cursor. I told you, it won’t accept anything I type.
Tech Support: (Ah – at least she knows what a cursor is. Sounds like a hardware problem. I wonder if she’s kicked the monitor’s power plug.) Does your monitor have a power indicator?
Customer: What’s a monitor?
Tech Support: It’s the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it’s on?
Customer: I don’t know.
Tech Support: Well, then, look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?
Customer: (sound of rustling and jostling) [muffled] Yes, I think so.
Tech Support: Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it’s plugged into the wall.
Customer: [pause] Yes, it is.
Tech Support: (Hmm. Well, that’s interesting. I doubt she would have accidentally turned it off, and I don’t want to send her hunting for the power switch because I don’t know what kind of monitor she has and it’s bound to have more than one switch on it. Maybe the video cable is loose or something.) When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?
Customer: No.
Tech Support: Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.
Customer: [muffled] Okay, here it is.
Tech Support: Follow it for me, and tell me if it’s plugged securely into the back of your computer.
Customer: [muffled] I can’t reach.
Tech Support: Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?
Customer: [clear again] No.
Tech Support: Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?
Customer: Oh, it’s not because I don’t have the right angle. It’s because it’s dark.
Tech Support: Dark?
Customer: Yes – the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.
Tech Support: Well, turn on the office light then.
Customer: I can’t.
Tech Support: Because there’s a power outage.
Customer: A power -- !?! (AAAARRGGGH!!!) A power outage? Aha! Okay, we’ve got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?
Tech Support: Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.
Customer: Good! Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.
Tech Support: Really? Is it that bad?
Customer:Yes, I’m afraid it is.
Tech Support: Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?
Customer: Tell them you’re TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER! [slam]

thanks for all the replies guys some useful and funny comments ( tel ) after faffing around all day yesterday I am finally getting the hang of it. It seems that windows xp was the one then they completely messed up with vista, then pulled it back with windows 7. as for windows out let's just say the jury are still out.

Reply to off topic ( how to confuse an electrician ) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net