Discuss Office 365 about to run out. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My free years subscription to Microsoft Office 365 is about to run out. I was happily set to take the laptop to the coffee shop this weekend to get some paperwork done and now I may not be able to do it! :(

I only use Word, nothing else. It runs out on the 8th and says 'Most features of word will be disabled'.

Is there a way of using MS word for free if you are not using any of the other stuff?

It says 'most features', will I still be able to write word documents and save them?

I know open office is a possibility, but I tried that before and it didn't seem to be compatible with Word.

Lastly, when browsing the web it says something about being able to use Word for free but calls it 'online word', does this mean I have to be online to use word? That would be a pain.

Cheers all.

I changed my iPad and now can’t edit or write in Word.
Seems Word and Excell is free for devices up to 10.1 inches.
My new iPad is 10.5 inches.

There is a free program called open office, which may allow you to open and edit Word documents.

Buy the subscription. Put it down as a business expense.

Or take the Jack Sparrow route... but I didn't say that....

Yeah, I use open office. It will load and save Word documents, though for complicated documents that have a lot of tables/pictures etc in them, there will likely be formatting issues. I only use it for invoices, making the PDF forms (a once-only job each time they change the forms), and doing the accounts on the open office spreadsheet.

If you have to load and edit Word documents that others have sent to you, then you need Word, really. You're going to have to suck it up and pay M$ the subscription.

If you just want to read Word documents that others send to you, then you can use the existing Office 365 (without a subscription) to do that.

If you want to send things to other people and not have to worry about it looking ok or not, then write the document in open office, then export as a PDF (which it does very nicely).

I bought an MS Office package through some years ago, was about £30. Do you know of anyone in a work place environment?

If you got kids, you can have a student package, that lasts for donkeys.

Thanks all.

I had a few more questions, but each time I got to the next paragraph of happysteves post they got answered one by one :)

I bought a second hand copy of Office 2016 from a well known auction site, it works very well.

Just get office bought, it goes through the company so what's the problem.
Look at it another way you were recently debating buying a Tool belt, don't buy the Toolbelt , ok so you won't be able to go to that village people concert but you will be able to right a sorry letter with Word .
Every cloud and all that.

What platform?
It is web based so you can use it on ....anything. MS Windows, Apple OS even Android. Personally, I tried it and kept loosing files. Goole Docs is a similar web based system. A stripped down Word Excel et-ctera.

IMHO forget hacked and illegal software. You're running a business - if money is tight get on to Ebay and buy a legally licenced but earlier version of MS Office - Simples.

Pay out you skinflint!! :)

I think it costs me around £4.50 a month. Well worth it to have instant access to all my certs and quotes etc whilst out and about.

It is web based so you can use it on ....anything. MS Windows, Apple OS even Android. Personally, I tried it and kept loosing files. Goole Docs is a similar web based system. A stripped down Word Excel et-ctera.

IMHO forget hacked and illegal software. You're running a business - if money is tight get on to Ebay and buy a legally licenced but earlier version of MS Office - Simples.

I wonder if Pete999 would be offended if you tried to tell him how to wire up a plug top............. as after being a Eletrikery Genius I spent 25 years in IT doing support as well as moves and changes, office moves and relocations and rollouts of hardware.

;o))))

Reply to Office 365 about to run out. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock