Discuss Office or Home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As the title suggest's, I just wondered how many of members on here had an office or worked from home.
Obviously working from home helps to keep the cost down, but would it make more sense to have a lock up where you can leave work behind.
I am also thinking you could store more stock, by buying in bulk.

I Know a lot of guy's have shed,s garages etc, but it's not quite the same is it, also i have a lad subbing to me and will hopefully be coming on board fulltime shortly, so maybe that is another factor for you guy's who have minimum staff is it more sensible to have a meeting place.

Just a debate for bank holiday monday, so I am interested in pro's and con's and experiences! have you done it and regretted it, or was it the best thing you did!

As an employee Monday to Friday and hobbles on the weekends with a mate we have a look up, easier for us to store gear and make the most of our money. Also somewhere to hide from the kids when you want piece and quite

I have a unit in town. A railway arch rented from Network Rail, it's not some dark dank cave though. Fully clad in white UPVC inside and dry as a bone.

Without question the best money I've spent for the company. The flexibility it gives makes me wonder how I coped without one. The photo below shows about a quarter of the floor area, and as you can see I can use it for work or pleasure.

DSC_0249.jpg

well I also own a garage which is quiet large.one of the rooms upstairs is an office and the rest used for storage. I have a reception area downstairs and the rest is used for a workshop. I also have an office in my house which is where I use most often tbh.

Office at home and 24 hour access storage very safe and secure my everyday stuff is always in van but understand that theft is a problem in UK. touching wood !! we dont have that sort of problem here you can get away with leaving most things in vehicle. As for actual car/van theft i think it said recently in the local paper the 9 cars were stolen last year all high end stuff.

Just remember to claim for the offices share of the household expenses for the business.

Spoken like a true YORKSHIRE MAN :tounge_smile:

Just remember to claim for the offices share of the household expenses for the business.

Have to be very careful with that, as operating a business from your home will invalidate your contents insurance unless you tell them that you do. Obviously if you do tell them it will cost more.

Depending on your local council, they may ask for a percentage of business rates if they find out. They can also refuse your business rates discount if you operate a business from home and have a separate premises.

Reply to Office or Home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net