Discuss Offshore medical and survival in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im looking into becoming a offshore spark i have had a look around and you need a offshore survival and medical cert, So i got a quote off a company that runs these courses and came back to me with this

There are two offshore Survival courses we run –
3 Day Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training – (OPITO Approved) - £630 + VAT
5 Day Pan European Offshore Safety (OPITO/OLF Approved) - £995 + VAT
The 5 day course will cover you for Norwegian waters, whereas the 3 day one wont.
I dont mind paying for the 5 day course but is it worth it as i have no offshore experience at all and worried i wont get a job at all on the rigs.
Any help would be great

Hello mate,

I started working offshore last year(not sparkying though) and I would recomend you do the 3 day OPITO BOSIET course should be £650ish. You should get a list of doctors who are registerd as being able to carry out an OPITO approved offshore survival medical for you from the survival training school you use. The medical should cost you approx £90. Go to a dentist as well BEFORE your medical. You can do a web search for said doc's local to where you live, no problem.

The 3 day OPITO BOSIET will allow you to work in (UK waters and "internationally")but not Norway. I wouldn't bother with the OLF thing which is a week long and £1000ish. The OLF course is exactly the same as the 3 day with two extra days chucked on that the Norwiegans want you to do to work in their waters. Thats the only difference. It just allows you to work in the norgy sector as well. BUT, the chances of you getting a start in the Norgy sector, straight out, first trip, are very slim unless you've got golden Knackers! It's very desirable to work out there coz you get more money, more time off and their platforms aren't falling apart! If a company wants you to work for them in Norgy sector they are more than likely going to be prepared to put you through the two extra days training to bring you upto norgy spec anyway.

It's a tricky game to get into. You have to hammer companies to get a start or know someone to help you in through the door. If your a qual'd spark you will have a very good trade, but there are still no gurantees you'll get picked up for a start. Try web search for oil and gas recriutment agencies etc in Aberdeen and Great Yarmouth. Keep plugging away at it if decide to go for it. Good luck mate.

Im looking into becoming a offshore spark i have had a look around and you need a offshore survival and medical cert, So i got a quote off a company that runs these courses and came back to me with this

There are two offshore Survival courses we run –
3 Day Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training – (OPITO Approved) - £630 + VAT
5 Day Pan European Offshore Safety (OPITO/OLF Approved) - £995 + VAT
The 5 day course will cover you for Norwegian waters, whereas the 3 day one wont.
I dont mind paying for the 5 day course but is it worth it as i have no offshore experience at all and worried i wont get a job at all on the rigs.
Any help would be great

Get the 3 day and with the money saved use it towards doing your Compex course.

In this climate you will struggle to get offshore without it.

5 day course costing from £800-1200 and can be done at various colleges and training centers around the UK.

Reply to Offshore medical and survival in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock