Discuss Offshore work. starting off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil671

Hi Guys

New to this. I was just looking if anyone had any tips or leads or know who's hiring in the oil and gas sectors.

Really want to start my career offshore as it has interested me for a while.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I worked off shore years ago, and to be honest for me it was more about who I knew than what I knew. Sure I needed all the relevant qualifications, but I would never have made it to the interview stage if I didn’t know an Operations Manager. Sadly he has retired because my nephew has been trying to get off shore for 2 years without success. He has tried all the usual routes, the Gas & Oil Expo, agencies and applying directly etc. I think you will need to continue to apply and keep your qualifications current.

Have you got

CompEx Units 1 to 4
Offshore Medical
Survival
MIST
These are the basics every spark needs to work offshore,although companies also look for
Recognised electrical apprenticeship
Oil & Gas experience

Also any heavy industrial or power station(coal/nuclear) is looked on favourably.

As off 1st September you also need OPITO Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System Initial Deployment Training (CA-EBS)

If you are sitting away from window seat on heli. everyone needs it from 2015. About time too.

in the 70,s you didn,t need any of that i worked all over the m/east took helecopters from one place to tother
the worst place/ people was saudi never go there with tattoos

Have you got

CompEx Units 1 to 4
Offshore Medical
Survival
MIST
These are the basics every spark needs to work offshore,although companies also look for
Recognised electrical apprenticeship
Oil & Gas experience

Also any heavy industrial or power station(coal/nuclear) is looked on favourably.

Yeah I have got all of theses but one the oil and gas experience I have even been trying to get work onshore on my way to gaining experience to get a start offshore. does any one know anybody that's hiring just now

AMEC are about to take on over a hundred for the Montrose project,the barge arrives there at the end of August.
Wood Group would be busy at the moment as well.
Aker have work on decommisioning,which will be an easy number and long term.
Stork is not a popular company and have been described as the FES of the North Sea

It is just a case of getting on the phone and sending out the CV's repeatedly,and building up a big list of contacts.
It is soul destroying doing this for months but you have to do it to get on first name terms with the girls you wil be speaking to.

I got offshore after harassing one company for ten months and then it was over Christmas I went out,which is not the best time for a first trip.

AMEC are about to take on over a hundred for the Montrose project,the barge arrives there at the end of August.
Wood Group would be busy at the moment as well.
Aker have work on decommisioning,which will be an easy number and long term.
Stork is not a popular company and have been described as the FES of the North Sea

It is just a case of getting on the phone and sending out the CV's repeatedly,and building up a big list of contacts.
It is soul destroying doing this for months but you have to do it to get on first name terms with the girls you wil be speaking to.

I got offshore after harassing one company for ten months and then it was over Christmas I went out,which is not the best time for a first trip.

Yeah av thought that myself about harassing them I wont have no qualms about harassing them.

but thanks thats a great help at least I know were to start looking thanks alot

They need to take some sets out of the 225's.It is not fun being in one of them with 18 in the back.
I like the S92's
What don't you enjoy about only getting one arse cheek on the seat on the 225, with the other hanging off the side. They need to take the 225 out of service altogether.

I am just back from Ghana, and even they are using better choppers -TU-HAA's. Although one did go down at the beginning of May.

Yep the S92 is my choice, if I was ever given one!

They are always looking for Sparks at St Fergus Gas Terminal. Apache site, they tend to use recruitment firms though. Don't know how you feel about living near Peterhead though. Diamond Offshore were taking on for a new Jack Up in the North Sea.

It was the URQUHART PARTNERSHIP that contacted me about a job at St Fergus, just checked email and it was for Total E&P. I knocked it back, as I only do contract jobs, so I pick and choose when I work. This was a permanent position and you had to relocate to within 30 miles of Peterhead, as there was on call.
Website is www dot upwebsite dot com

Reply to Offshore work. starting off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net