uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss oil bonds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

can i have your opinions on this situation please

house on tt supply

remote metal oil tank about 20m away

2 seperate oil pipes from tank, 1 to boiler, 1 to aga, plastic coated copper, they enter the house in 2 seperate places.

i want to bond 1 then test continuity to the other after all they join at the tank
and stake the tank also

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
A

acat

I would think job done if you stake the tank as you propose and the pipes then I would have thought the house would still be at equal potential and all is safe.

Chris

S

Spudnik

Mark,

You just need to bond each incoming pipe.

No need to rod the tank.

S

spark1

Both pipes require bonding to the M.E.T....one cable from M.E.T to 1st pipe and then on to 2nd pipe will sufice if this is easier...providing it is an unbroken loop at the 1st pipe

spark1

C

claire_r

ah i recently went to a property that had an oil tank outside, it had its own earth rod connected to the pipes. Is that not sufficient then??

S

Spudnik

The only time main earth bonding is required, is if the incoming pipes to the property are underground and metal.

So, if the oil tank pipes are surface mounted around the house, and then enter the building, then they do not need bonding.

Similarly with plastic.

Test should be carried out to confirm first tho.

ah i recently went to a property that had an oil tank outside, it had its own earth rod connected to the pipes. Is that not sufficient then??
Not really, because if the pipes are then run underground to the property, it kinda defeats the object.

Although does it??

Normally, anywhere there is an oil tank is often a TT system anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to oil bonds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom