Discuss ok can anyone tell me how this is allowed ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg I'm stumped with this one. Please view pics.
The consumer unit is behind a plywood board cover. Its next to a sink and that is next to shower.
So its in the shower/ toilet room but at the far end with a cover.
Previously the roof was lower and came down to the top of this cover
I've suggested its moved or the front end of room boxed off to be a cupboard.
Client has been told by the consumer-box installer that it conforms to the regs ....
I cant see how and would appreciate any guidance from any more experienced sparks ...
thanks in advance

The pictures confuse me,picture 1 appears to be a cover presumably for the dangling cables and the mains set up
Yet the glass panelled door/wall does not show in the other pictures

Is it outside the special zone for the bath?
A basin or sink doesn't class as a special location.
That VIR or cotton wrap supply wiring could do with upgrading...

ok i am standing at the sink when I took picture
looking left
picture 1 is the glass door with the cover in place
picture 2 is the cover moved back revealing the consumer box
picture 3 is close up of consumer box
picture 4 is looking right showing rest of bathroom

to me its a grey area.

Its not really a cupboard its a frame that's pushed into place.
I suppose it raises the question what's a cupboard lol

maybe I'm too safety conscious

It's just the regs we work to ... Very daft and the 18th edition will just add to it, I've not seen any evidence that anything is going to be defined more closely.

The building regs are no better - full of ambiguity.

It's just the regs we work to ... Very daft and the 18th edition will just add to it, I've not seen any evidence that anything is going to be defined more closely.

The building regs are no better - full of ambiguity.

Thanks, I'm still not convinced its safe (as is ) for renting out to students.
but hey ...as you say .....it fits the regs !!!!
thanks for our answers i thought i had missed something as logic says it shouldn't be allowed

A problem with that set up that makes me think it needs altering
If the customer has occasion to reset the trip or breaker or the meter reader wants to collect a few numbers,if the box is not replaced its non compliant permanently
Instead of doors its reliant on the person putting the cover back in place.its at minimum a poor design

A problem with that set up that makes me think it needs altering
If the customer has occasion to reset the trip or breaker or the meter reader wants to collect a few numbers,if the box is not replaced its non compliant permanently
Instead of doors its reliant on the person putting the cover back in place.its at minimum a poor design

and we know that a lot of students cant look after themselves and do the minimum in life .. I have suggested its maybe boxed in differently.

Even if it is outside of the zones it must be suitable for the location. It most certainly is not contained within a cupboard. The use of an adjustable earth clamp on the steel conduit to provide an earth is not acceptable in my eyes as the exposed steel is prone to immediate corrosion damage which can only be exagerbated with the location.

I think apart from the regs, which it does meet in most respects, you could do a risk assessment on it to define what is wrong with it. Clearly regs aside the idea of mains incomer and fuse boards near a sink and shower/bath is just not good sense and lends itself to scenarios that could lead to a fatality. But how might this happen?
So lights go while in shower, groping around with soap in the eyes soaking wet...For sure it is a poor job all round. I would like to see a proper enclosure with a door and lock on it to make sure it does not form in anyway a part of the bathroom and is accessible only through a locking door.

I think apart from the regs, which it does meet in most respects, you could do a risk assessment on it to define what is wrong with it. Clearly regs aside the idea of mains incomer and fuse boards near a sink and shower/bath is just not good sense and lends itself to scenarios that could lead to a fatality. But how might this happen?
So lights go while in shower, groping around with soap in the eyes soaking wet...For sure it is a poor job all round. I would like to see a proper enclosure with a door and lock on it to make sure it does not form in anyway a part of the bathroom and is accessible only through a locking door.

As well as your comments ..I was even thinking condensation would be a risk factor !!!!

condensation
This is why I said it mostly complies. We are required to consider environmental factors affecting equipment. Also location and access as well as good workmanship forming part of any installation. None of which is in evidence there. Again it is up to the judgement of the engineer engaged in such work to determine above and beyond as well as including the regs as to the various items complying in terms of safety and EAWR H&S etc. I personally would not agree to replacing a CU in such a situation without the proper containment etc. in place prior to starting work. So no doubt they would have got someone who wants the money and will do the bidding irregardless of the risks outside of the regs. Oh yes and by the way I am not too sure about Amd 3 and containment of fire with those cables going down the back of the CU probably into a gaping hole in the back of the CU with wood behind it.

At least when the RCD trips as the student electrocutes themself in the shower they can’t easily assess the CU to finish the job :D

ok the customer has contacted their supplier and explained the situation. They are going to come out and assess, it but they have agreed to move it three metres free of charge, as its in a bathroom area.
Good news I will be able to sleep at night and not worry about any showering students getting frazzled as they step out the shower eyes covered in soap. not on my watch :smirk:

thanks to all who gave their help and viewpoints.

Reply to ok can anyone tell me how this is allowed ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net