Discuss Ok to sell without detachable lead? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone advise if it's legal for a business to sell electrical items in the UK that plug in to a mains outlet via a detachable "kettle" lead, but without supplying the lead with the item? (I'm thinking about things like PC power supply units)

It's probably unusual, but no different to batteries not included.

Certainly not an issue with a component like a power supply, maybe a new Kettle with no lead would be a problem.

As long as you make it clear the lead is not inlcuded, otherwise you'll end up dealing with complaints

To clarify, some electrical items (e.g. things like printers, power supply units) have completely detachable power cables, which I gather are known as kettle leads, that plug into a sort of 5 sided socket in the unit. I've been looking at the UK Plugs and Sockets regulations from 1994, which talks about related things, but I can't work out if it requires you to supply a UK kettle lead with any such item sold in the UK, or if it's OK to supply without any kettle lead at all.

They must meet legal safety requirements and I suspect that would apply whether the cord set was supplied or not. Printers and the like do not use kettle leads although they appear similar. A kettle lead uses a connector known as a hot connector and has a key way to it to prevent IEC leads from an item such as a printer from being used in a kettle because although they all look the same IEC connectors can have variable ratings. So a kettle lead will fit a printer, the IEC lead from a printer should not fit the kettle but it is quite rare to see a kettle with lead these days they normally sit on a kettle base.

They must meet legal safety requirements and I suspect that would apply whether the cord set was supplied or not. Printers and the like do not use kettle leads although they appear similar. A kettle lead uses a connector known as a hot connector and has a key way to it to prevent IEC leads from an item such as a printer from being used in a kettle because although they all look the same IEC connectors can have variable ratings. So a kettle lead will fit a printer, the IEC lead from a printer should not fit the kettle but it is quite rare to see a kettle with lead these days they normally sit on a kettle base.

Thanks for the reply - I suppose I'm asking if there is any specific regulation that means you have to supply a detachable lead. All I'm getting with some degree of certainty from the Plugs and Sockets regulations is that if the item comes with a plug cord and is intended to be plugged into a standard outlet, that cord must be fitted with a UK plug that meets the standards - but not whether items where the cord can be detached completely must be supplied with such a cord.

It's a good question I know auction houses when they sell electrical goods either cut the lead off and state it is non functional or charge the seller for a PATest. There appears to be lots of advice online for selling electrical goods but not for your situation, where are you intending to sell them.

can't see a problem. it's like selling a car and telling the buyer to put his own petrol in it.

I can't advise on the regulations, however I suspect it will depend on the exact nature of the goods. A component that cannot be used on its own, such as a PC power supply may be fine. It would be reasonable to expect a competent person to install it and therefore to choose a suitable cordset if required. A complete appliance ready for use by a consumer, that is simply lacking the cordset, would be more contentious.

One problem you will create is that there are many non-compliant and dangerous cordsets on sale. A non-technical end-user might get some from one of the grey import routes that has a susbtandard plug, fuse or cable. When connected to your appliance, the whole could be potentially dangerous and could damage your reputation. E.g. if someone uses one of the cordsets with faulty earth pin design, resulting in shocks from your equipment, they will probably blame you instead of the cordset vendor. Supply the correct cordset yourself to ensure it's sound.

Please don't perpetuate the 'kettle lead' thing. They haven't been kettle leads for 20 years+ and as mentioned earlier, kettle leads were usually something different anyway. I don't put 'Motor spirit' in my car...

See IEC 60320 - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

The popular ones on domestic equipment are C13 aka 'IEC lead' which itself is a bit of a misnomer, C5 aka 'Clover Leaf' and C7 aka 'Figure-of-eight'

Reply to Ok to sell without detachable lead? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock