Discuss OLCI...any advise plz in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Very sorry to hear that Bamboothy.

Hope it all gets resolved amicably.

Will you still be looking to pursue a career in electrics?

Welcome to the site.

i had dealings with them before i found access training{who are on my blooming doorstep, 15 minuits away} doh! found them megga pushy,and realistically to expensive! im sorry but in my opinion distance learning to me is wrong,maybe in other subjects but here no.you gotta be in a room with people,do the 10 day in access training,eal and 17th,yes you will have to stay away but the £££ you will save pay your digs plus its 8 to 1 ratio,HANDS ON and run by humans! these people are sparkys etc you wont have to wait 12 months for certs,you couldnt get better guidance, shakey......are you reading this...lol. good luck with it whatever you do man.nathan.

hi

ive been a qualified auto electrician for 16 years so wanted to take up a different element of electrics.

i need to keep earning while training as many do but finding it extreamly hard to find right training course.;)

if anyone could reccommend a reliable , trustworthy company that can supplie a course please help..

cheers

brilliant forum:)

Guys
Thanks for the info on OLCI. you and this site have definately saved me from making a big mistake - and pardon this- kopping a fizzer.
Cheers fellas
Mac

Guys
you know if you get good advice and dont take it- because you "think" you know what you are doing and go ahead "playing" with electricity - well you are definately going to cop a tingle if not a heck of a lot worse- a real fizzer.
I've no intention of asking for advice and then ignoring it-then finding out that OLCI have given me a fizzer.
Cheers boys
Mac

Hi Guys,

This post caught my eye as i have come here looking for help in regards to C&G 2330 level 2 which i signed up with through olci.

The pack they have sent me seems essentially very well put together but as i am struggling grasp some of the calculations and it could do with breaking down a bit more and going into some more detail.

Does anyone suggest any study aids to go along with this course.

I do have email support which i have used a couple of times which is ok but i dont want to be constantly bombarding them with questions.

thanks again to Mr Bane and Cudaboy for singing our praises.

I deliberately set our student/tutor ratio at 8:1 when i designed the bays, i believe it is the optimum manageable number. I have heard horror stories of some training providers witha 35:1 ratio, guys are doing the course and never even use the meter!

As forum sponsors we can shamelessly push pur product, so click on the Access Training logo, you even get to see a picture of me! Hurrah!

Nathan, i will try and ring the NIC engineer tommorrow, just been mucho busy. He is a good friend of Dinosaur's as well, PM him and give him the gen, and he will give him a bell i'm sure, matey.

ta man i can honestly say i really enjoyed it,have had training here and there over the years,most of them want to get the day over,theres your cert and bye! ive been down to access since for advice,you wont get that from some automiton over phone etc. got couple jobs lined up in bridgend for assesment,one i know what i a doing there will bell niciec and go from there, im not going to involve labc if i dont have to,be nice to speak to assesor prior to see what exactly hes looking for............euros, dollars,sterling ;lol!!! ps im sure i saw abdul <mohamed now changed his name > signing up for the plumbing course down there????

Hi, I have been working in the telecomms industry for the past 5 yrs as a contractor and am looking to widen my horizons so to speak. I was wondering if anyone has heard of OCLI construction training? They are offering me a course that gives me, at the end:
C&G level 2 (2330),
C&G level 3 (2330),
17th edition IEE wiring regulations C&G 2382-10,
Inspection & testing C&G 2391,
Applicable building regs (part P),
level 3 Certificate for in service inspections and testing of electrical equiptment- portable appliance testing (C&G 2377)
EAL level 2 certificate for domestic electrical installers.

They offer this as a study at home course where visit training centres for practical work when can. The course costs £5500. What i want to know is will i be fully qualified to work as an electrician, either on pay roll or self employed and are the qualifications the right ones. I've heard about people doing this kind of course and employers not recognising the qualification. £5500 is a lot to spend if going to be a waste.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks

Hi Vassy,

I have been training with them most tutors in London are good but trying to get problems sorted out with the clerical staff is a nightmare. I took a part p course which was rushed no time to digest I was going to do full sparks course but I have told them no way!

They send the students vouchers that you are meant to be able to use against your courses I have been trying to use them since October (It's now nearly May) and they keep making excuses and ignoring so you can't use them. The course material has mistakes all over - considering we are dealing with safety it should be full proofed but no! Resources we should get we don't, they lose are mark sheets we send off to them.

They won't refund money that is owed.

My answer is if you want good training and DECENT customer service go else where other students have told me that won't go with olci again and I won't.

If they had resolved my issues then they would have got slightly better feed back, but as I have wasted so much money on calls and wasted time sending emails and recorded letters getting stressed out I got palputations and a rised blood pressure because of them. I now think their idiots.

Hope you read this before you waste your money, hopefully I will stop others having to go through the same hair pulling out head banging against the wall experience.

Hello all
Ive been a mate for 3 years now and about an hour ago signed up to the OLCI course. Have I made a big mistake? Read through a few forums on the subject of OLCI and there isnt many positive views about the Course on any of them. Please can someone give me good news before my wife kills me for spunking 6 grand.
Jock

Hello all
Ive been a mate for 3 years now and about an hour ago signed up to the OLCI course. Have I made a big mistake? Read through a few forums on the subject of OLCI and there isnt many positive views about the Course on any of them. Please can someone give me good news before my wife kills me for spunking 6 grand.
Jock

Hi jockie,

If you have only just done it then as long as it is within 14 days you can cancel it is the 14 day cooling off period, just phone them up on tuesday and cancel. I hope that it is within the 14 days if so you are lucky.
I had vouchers to use £300 in total which they won't give me the money, they keep lying to me when I phone them up they ignore my emails or if I leave messages on the subject. I am waiting a book that goes with my level 3 course and have had questions in the coursework asking what does the book regulation .... say on this subject write your answer here, I can't because I didn't get the book.

Let me know if your lucky or not.

The students I trained with said they were going to do other courses with a different company not olci, I was stupid I kept going with them because I was desparate to get both levels done in quick time didn't have time to look for a different company.

Hello all
Jock
£6000 is a lot of money to spend at the moment on training to be an electrician,especially the way work is in the UK for sparks.If you've been a mate for 3 years,you should have quite a bit of knowledge about sparking already. Can't your employer send you to college and they should be able to get money from the government to put you through the courses.May take a bit longer but in the long run you'd probably save yourself £3500.Hope this helps:)

Hi Chris and niggy.I wrang to see about prices and qualifications gained with the skills Centre and they just made an oppointment for a rep to come and see me at home. On the day of the appointment the rep wrang me to say he is running late and is that ok. I said yes but explained all i was after to day is qualifications gained and price of courses. He then seemed to loose interest and said the prices are £5250 for basic electrian training and £6950 for the full one that allows you to plan wireing routes for new builds and reworks ???. Didnt bother coming for the appointment as wasnt signing up today and could claw back some time to put him on track for rest of day.

Wasnt impressed by his attitude once learnt that i just wanted info to compare with OLCI. Let me know how you found the skills Centre towards you plz and how the course is going chris, looking to sign up next week for one....just not sure which one yet.

Don't go with olci they have a take your money n get on with it attitude
not good at getting problems sorted, if you push them they will ignore you.
alot of money for extremely poor customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halo again. To answer your question, my son found a site a bit like watchdog where they investigate your problems with goods and services and someone had approached them about OCLI. he was training as a plumber and found that the course he was expecting to do was cancelled due to their being too few attendees. He pushed them for his money back and eventually, with help, he got a refund. So, it is not a huge criticism of them and I have seen mixed comments elsewhere although generally not bad. It is a lot of money though and I feel their approach is a little bit pushy and 'salesman' like which makes me nervous. Rather than a straight answer it tends to be a bit ' everything will be fine, dont worry about it'. I asked how often they run course at the nearest centre and was told they would send out a scheduel when I signed up - why not just tell me now so I know. I am in a hurry to get this training and do not want to find I cannot do the next step because there is no classroom time availble or whatever. Anyway I am going to do a bit more research this afternoon and will keep you informed. Cheers, Nig

Do you know what the site is called? I got MAJOR problems with them, and need help!

kind regards
equalizer

hi

ive been a qualified auto electrician for 16 years so wanted to take up a different element of electrics.

i need to keep earning while training as many do but finding it extreamly hard to find right training course.;)

if anyone could reccommend a reliable , trustworthy company that can supplie a course please help..

cheers

brilliant forum:)

In NO circumstances olci, no way!!

Nice to your face getting the money then when you got problems and you ask to use the "bate" vouchers then you get ignored. I have left telephone messages about course dates and material and they don't phone back this was before I asked for the voucher money £300. If you don,t use a day say on nvq they won,t give that back either £332.12. and I am spending £9386 doing two courses. Scam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you take a look at the clarksonevans website.They train all their sparks in-house and offer some decent courses at reasonable prices.A lot cheaper than OCLI:D

£6000 is a lot of money to spend at the moment on training to be an electrician,especially the way work is in the UK for sparks.If you've been a mate for 3 years,you should have quite a bit of knowledge about sparking already. Can't your employer send you to college and they should be able to get money from the government to put you through the courses.May take a bit longer but in the long run you'd probably save yourself £3500.Hope this helps:)
Cheers for getting back to me,I have learnt a lot the last 3 years and really dont want to waste the experience gained. Unfortunately the company Ive been working for, like a lot of people have gone very quiet and I have found it hard to get any work with other companies. I have also been self employed for the last 3 years and a few incidents with the firm(not getting paid, trouble with claiming expenses and lengthy periods without work) i was working for have never encouraged me to enrol in college. I have recently had to get another job, I took the job as it gives me a lot of free time to easilly study at home and visit centres. Im hoping to keep my hand in by doing a few days with some of the fellas I have worked with over the last few years. Again cheers for getting back to me.
Jock

My Advise, Do Not Do The OLCI Route anyone, i mean anyone who does will have some sort of quibble whether it be salesmen lies, poor material or shocking customer services OLCI are pants.
You cannot do practical sessions when you want as they state and most of the time you are signed up for an NVQ level 3 in Electrical Installation only to be told 6 months later it is only the city & guilds 2330.
bad experience me and 3 others so far going to court with them and from different parts of the country.
anyone can contact me at [email protected] with experiences of a good or bad nature i'm sure there are plenty of past students who would advise against signing up with this company.
see Blagger.com - The place to leave feedback and comments about companies you have used for OLCI results before signing up for your lovely 0% finance and blattent lies.

Ged :mad:

hello s een your post i ve just signed up with olci you said that you are always signed up to nvq 3 then told you that is only 2330 what do you mean . i am doing mine in newcastle cheers

hi
I mean the city & Guilds 2330 is not the NVQ level 3 in electrical maintenance/installation as advised by OLCI advisors.
the 2330 is a standard which makes you a partially qualified electrician and the NVQ3 makes you qualified i signed up for the qualified version but ended up with the 2330.

regards

ged

Gedo1979 is spot on the only way to gain NVQ/SVQ Level 3 qualified electrician status in Scotland anyhow is to go through the modern apprenticeship or adult apprenticeship schemes ran by SECTT im not sure who is responsible for it in other parts of the UK. The apprenticeship is based on C&G 2330 level 2 & 3 with a couple of others but to become qualified there is an element of on site work where you assessed in order to complete NVQ/SVQ Level 3. You can go on these courses ran by training centres to become "Competent" but you then have to join the likes of NICEIC etc in order to show you this.

Gedo1979 is spot on the only way to gain NVQ/SVQ Level 3 qualified electrician status in Scotland anyhow is to go through the modern apprenticeship or adult apprenticeship schemes ran by SECTT im not sure who is responsible for it in other parts of the UK. The apprenticeship is based on C&G 2330 level 2 & 3 with a couple of others but to become qualified there is an element of on site work where you assessed in order to complete NVQ/SVQ Level 3. You can go on these courses ran by training centres to become "Competent" but you then have to join the likes of NICEIC etc in order to show you this.

Hi,

Yes its all a big con OLCI cannot train you to be a qualified Electrician.

They can only train you as far as a College can and at several hundreds of pounds less.

Would you pay £6000 for a quick 9 month course or £400 for the same?

And you would still not be qualified????

Bec

Reply to OLCI...any advise plz in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock