Discuss OLCI Domestic Installers Course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I’m a bit of a noob to this so I apologise in advance.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this OLCI course and if it was worth doing. I want to add some strings to my bow, and being located in Devon and working full time, this is one of the options I found.

From info I got from the sales guy the course includes all of this

EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers
City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations
City & Guilds 2377 In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
Applicable Building Regulations (Part ‘P’)Building Regulations (P

For someone wanting to maybe start off doing some side work in domestic electrics, properly certified, is this a good set of qualifications to have?

That is all you need for domestic work as far as qualifications are concerned. However you also need to take into account the current climate and lack of experience.

This may force you down the self employed route inwhich case you will also need to register with a competent person scheme have all your own tools van and insurances.

Hope that helps

Chris

Can recommend the devon centre, give graham my regards. They have a barbq on a thursday and as well, tea coffee biscuits is free as paid for from scrap materials (copper from the plumbing lads). Excellent parking outside as well. It a sod to find first time as its down a farm track. Very modern centre.

Thanks for that, I wasnt sure whether it was a good idea to do the domestic course or the full electricians course but thought this would be a good start and i could always do that a bit later on.

I will happily give your regards. I am glad that its a centre with a good reputation, as doing a google search there are some cowboy outfits out there, and as the courses are quite a lot of money i didnt want to fall foul of one.

Thanks for that, I wasnt sure whether it was a good idea to do the domestic course or the full electricians course but thought this would be a good start and i could always do that a bit later on.

I will happily give your regards. I am glad that its a centre with a good reputation, as doing a google search there are some cowboy outfits out there, and as the courses are quite a lot of money i didnt want to fall foul of one.
ok mate, if you do go for it, remember its a course that you only get out what you put in, you must learn all thats in the notes they send you, as its exams from day one. practical exams too. If you wanna pass the course, start now !! - I have based my opinions on the fact that there are mlilions of domestic dwellings to every commercial or industrial installation out there, so why not go for just domestic. I dont think you can disagree with that, good luck , keep me posted. P.S. The olci ofice people are notorius for knowing nothing, unless you get hold of shamie. Its the tutor graham (sparky graham, as opposed to graham plumber also brill geezer ) That will drag you through the course and get you there.

I would jhust go to your local college for the 17th, 2391. If you have electrical experience.

As i got all my quals for about £600, olci were wanting double.

Depend how confident you are really, as at the end of the day, current is currrent. Voltage is voltage

City & Guilds 2377 In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

I wouldn't bother with that unless you want to get into PAT.

The 2392 would be much more advantageous, as this will teach you how to do initial verification of electrical installations, plus the paperwork. And inspection, testing and certification is the important bit, and the bit which will keep you out of court!!

Reply to OLCI Domestic Installers Course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net