Discuss Old 2 Gang Light Switch Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jtdyson

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I have this lighting socket but has no markings, does anyone have any idea what is L1,L2 and Com

Many thanks
J902A87FF-86AE-47C8-8B41-E0F727F8A945.jpeg80AFC4D8-4112-4E52-860F-18B154F8B1CD.jpeg

As with all two gang switches, it’s basically thought of as two switches on one plate.

From this near end, draw an imaginary line from between the red and black wires down to between the double red and blue.

Now on the left you have red and double red on a switch, and black yellow and blue on the other.

Normally when you look at the terminals of a switch as a triangle, the C or common is at the top or pointy end…. And L1, L2 are at the other.

Can we see the terminals of the new switch?
Different manufacturers label them differently… so you might have L1, L2, L3, and no Common… (the L1 being the common) and sometimes they throw in a “loop” terminal just to confuse us😁

That's a Crabtree 2172. Common terminal is embossed in very small print on the white faceplate.

Reply to Old 2 Gang Light Switch Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to install a Quinetic double gang in line receiver switch (QURS2W) in my hallway on the ground floor to control the lights...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a single light switch, wired like this.. the 2 wires in com, with a always live wire coming to the switch, and then wire going out to...
Replies
Views
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock