• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Old board, Newer board, DNO head & old meter for practice rig in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've been doing my usual and watched a JW vid explaining what belonged to whom and it got me wanting to create a mock-up myself to practice on - I know we should only be touching consumer-side equipment but the purpose (and hope) of having the cutout is so I can setup the various earthing arrangements.

What I'm after:

DNO cutout & Henley block

An Old style consumer unit; the old Wylex rewirables etc

A Newer consumer unit (plastic or metal), single or split - or both

MCBs RCDs et all to fix

An old mechanical electric meter

If anyone has any unused clobber knocking about thsti could oik for practice that'd be grand.

Always a good idea to make your own test rig up I did when I first started my level 2, it does give you good practice rather then the bays at college, once you're confident live it up then eventually go on to testing your own Gaff.

Modern cutouts and meters will be available from most wholesalers, or failing that online retailers or eBay.
Searchin for Henley cutout on eBay will bring up loads of cutouts.

Whilst I like the idea if apprentices, or anyone else, going above and beyond to improve themselves it does make me wonder about the quality of the mentoring they are getting on at work.

Got a cutout and tails from Tel (cheers), source an old style board (rewireable) is proving tricky and eBay is proving daft, although I did get a leccy meter for a few quid (didnt have to work, just needed to fill a space).

Got a few sockets, pendants and back boxes so I can jig them in.

If any one nearby (Warrington/Runcorn/Liverpool/Manchester etc), has old stuff from rewires that they haven't thrown out, drop me a line (I'd love free stuff but as the phrase goes "Money for old rope" etc

Once I've got a mock house board (simulating the usual findings in a house), then need to work on removable faults (adding resistors to simulate faults etc etc)

Got an IKEA down the road so sourcing a board offcut big enough shouldn't be too much drama.

Reply to Old board, Newer board, DNO head & old meter for practice rig in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net