Discuss old bt phones, bring bring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
i have a load of old bt phones which the ends are in old gpo chock boxes, can i convert these onto new bt connectors (431a plugs)..

any info on these be grand thanks. merry christmas and happy new year. and my new years resoloution is not to kurse on open forums.. sorry phillip;)

i bought two connectors from maplins but the cables dont seem to go into place or am i missing something. maybe i have to change old cable too.?????

i willo get to bottom of this because i have about 15 of these phones.. cheers

It can be done as I did it many years ago I seem to remember some of the internal links need to be removed or reconfigured to get them to work properly. If they are dial phones I'm not sure that the exchanges support LD dialling any more as since the early eighties when System X was introduced the dialling was changed to DTMF

Yes mate: It can be done & they work quite well, if you can wait until the New Year i'll dig you out the info. Sell quite well in the second hand shops too. Some you might have to add a diode or resistor to them or sometimes both but will send you all the info if you want it. All leads & parts can be got on the Bay for reasonable prices or if your really stuck i've got a load of the parts in stock but i'm short on leads at the minute.

I don't have the info available till I'm back at the office but if I remember rightly the very old BT phones had a capacitor built in them where the newer generation of phones the capacitor was in the skirting board connection box. I think the upshot was if they're not wired right the bell tinkles when dialing.

Hi,
It is fairly easy to do so, get in some 4K ohm resistors and some standard silicon diodes. The 3.3Kohm resistor go in series with the bell coil, connect the diodes in parallel but reversed so you can't get more than 0.6 volts across them and connect the pair across the receiver. The bell resistor is to reduce the ringing current to modern standards, the diodes are to stop you being deafened should there be a fault with the receiver shorting contacts. Have a read of CONVERTING OLD GPO/BT PHONES TO PLUG & SOCKET

Reply to old bt phones, bring bring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net