Discuss Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I accept this is an unusual post!
This clock has been in a family since early 1930's, the owners grandfather acquired it and fitted it for his mother. (Folk law is that it was one of the first electric clocks in Coventry, but who knows.)
I've been asked if it could be put into use again. As I rather like mad projects I said I'd have a look at it.

I've tested the coil resistance, and IR tested both sides of coil to metal case and was satisfied that it wasn't an instant electrical death trap. But it didn't work, even manually trying to get the motor to take. The motor wasn't moving freely so I've had it largely to bits, cleaned and oiled what I could, got it back together again (that is the truly amazing bit) and now to my delight it actually works.

Therefore the question is, what is the best was to connect a metal cased simple clock to a modern supply. Clock points are not really in abundance in houses these days.
Could it be as simple as a suitable grommet, flex, and plug with 1 amp fuse, and would you find a way to earth the casing? Other suggestions most welcome.

Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 1662401480348 - EletriciansForums.net
Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 1662401569555 - EletriciansForums.net

Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 1662401521355 - EletriciansForums.net

Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 1662401605100 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I'd personally got down the route of earthing the casing and feeding from a low amp fuse. If you could get a cable gland that would be ideal, but it doesn't look easy. Along as the connections Re covered and there is some method of securing the outer sheath then I can't seeca problem.

Nice to see it being kept in use.

Actually I should run a separate earth and use one of these beauties:
Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 1662452560035 - EletriciansForums.net

Nice clock, there often isn't much in the way of cord grips on old clocks as they mount on the wall usually to a clock point very near and are not likely to get disturbed much. Careful with the oiling, less is definitely more when it comes to clocks.

This will probably be the next clock I do, purchased by SWEB in 1970 for use in a meter testing station at a cost of £86/13/3. Despatched by Landis & Gyr in 7-8 months after receipt of order...
Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? clk - EletriciansForums.net

Nice clock, there often isn't much in the way of cord grips on old clocks as they mount on the wall usually to a clock point very near and are not likely to get disturbed much. Careful with the oiling, less is definitely more when it comes to clocks.

This will probably be the next clock I do, purchased by SWEB in 1970 for use in a meter testing station at a cost of £86/13/3. Despatched by Landis & Gyr in 7-8 months after receipt of order...
View attachment 101322

Very nice. The clock face has actually got quite a modern look.

Very nice. The clock face has actually got quite a modern look.
It's quite a modern clock, made in 1970. I wouldn't have thought there was much demand for mechanical master clocks in 1970? I've never seen an installed system still in working order.

What about using an isolating transformer? Perhaps salvaging one from a shavers socket and fitting it in a adaptable box.
It’s so funny that I’d just been hunting in my scrap box for a shaver socket that I haven’t already misused….

Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? 70D15323-1B13-46BF-BE2E-79E387B74C21 - EletriciansForums.net
But not for this project. My main concern would be the transformer getting warm inside a box.
If it was for my own shed it’s one thing, but this is for a customer so I should avoid creative hacks! I like your thinking though!

Reply to Old Electric clock, best/safest way to connect? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock