Discuss Old field generator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Very nice, I have some pictures of a 1940's Ellison unit somewhere. The oil filled type, it was a work of art it was in a old foundry that we were testing, sadly the greedy owner and spark stripped it out for scrap, it belonged in a museum.
It was in working order when they ripped it out and replaced it with Schneider power board.

That is a standard Showman's lighting set of the 1950s-1990s, producing 220A at 110V DC. It started life as a WW2-era searchlight generator used to power the carbon-arcs in 90 & 150cm AA projectors. About 15,000 were built between the early thirties and the end of the war, consisting of a Lister 40/4 4-cyl indirect-injection diesel driving a Mawdsleys 4-pole compound dynamo at 1100 RPM, all mounted on a Taskers single-axle trailer. WD searchlight sets were basic and robust, not particularly economical, rather maintenance intensive and hard work to start in the cold (hand start only... Lister's patented variable compression system ensured they would always fire first time, if only you had the oomph to turn the bl**dy thing fast enough to get over the first compression!)

When many of them were sold off after the war, they were ideal replacements for powering Showmens' machines, as they had similar ratings to the traction engine-mounted generators of earlier decades. They were adequate to power a number of small rides outright or either the lighting or the drive of a really big one.

NFA Link: Billy Smart's pair of original searchlight sets
NFA Link: Harris Bros 'crossed pair' with the working sides facing out

They gave good service but eventually by the 1960s / 70s the original engines wore out, or the owners got tired of oiling and cranking the heavy old Listers, yet the dynamos were usually still in their prime. So, many were converted with a Gardner 5LW or 6LW direct-injection engine, one of the standard engines found in commercial vehicle fleets at the time. By the 1980s, most searchlight sets, by then the most common source of 110V DC on the showground, had been fitted with a Gardner engine, either by showland mechanics or professional genset builders. They were usually taken off their trailers and mounted two-abreast on a ballast tractor, with a pair of old lorry rads facing out of the back.

In the meantime, the last few Listers soldiered on. John & Anna Carter and their sons ran nine of them at one time, both the 4-cyl 110V DC sets and the similar WD 3-cyl 15kVA AC units. They looked after them carefully and kept some of them going up through the 90s, including a couple on the original trailers still only with hand start. One had a centre bearing seize and bent a rod, eventually the others reached the end of their practical service life, and in the time-honoured fashion some rather nice Gardners took their place (If you visit, look for the 6L3.)

Although both the Lister JP and the Gardner LW debuted in the early 1930s, the crucial difference was that the Lister was purely an industrial engine, but the Gardner was designed from the outset as a high performance road vehicle engine. Much more sophisticated than the Lister, and more economical due to its direct injection and other refinements, the LW and its derivatives and relatives (L2, L3, LX... LCXT etc) were one of the great British diesels that powered Scammells, ERFs etc for many decades, plus trains, boats and industrial plant too. Their endurance is legendary but that's another story.

Back to the one in the picture. The switchboard is original WD spec, although the voltmeter has been replaced. The dynamo looks like a standard Mawdsleys searchlight unit but an additional AC generator has been piggybacked and belt-driven. This was a popular mod in the 1970s as rides started to need AC power too, for the sound system and other electronics, while the lighting and drive remained 110V DC. The engine is a 6LW but I am not sure of its provenance. It seems to have an industrial flywheel with barring holes, but might still have been a vehicle engine. The bedframe and rad are not original searchlight set items either.

And now the inevitable puzzle: Below the knife switch, just to the left of the Niphan socket for the worklight, there is an additional switch contact. What was its function?
[automerge]1567291921[/automerge]
Oops the picture links didn't all work out, try again:

National Fairground archive pics of original searchlight sets on the gaff:
Searchlight set still on its original trailer
Billy Smart's pair of original searchlight sets
Harris Bros 'crossed pair' with the working sides facing out

National Fairground archive pics of sets converted to Gardner:
Typical pair of Gardnerised searchlight sets, W. Nichols
4LW version, Chipperfields
Typical multi-set truck, Stanley Thurston

Last edited:
I've always wanted a 2 cylinder Lister JP engine, heavier duty than the CS range. Even the 4 cylinder should be easy to start as all the cylinders are decompressed during hand cranking.

Have you actually tried it though Freddo, on a frosty morning with traditional monograde oil that's viscous with a capital V? With the lighter flywheel on the higher-speed 4's plus the JP's high starting compression, you have to be going at a decent speed when you drop the decompressor or it just bounces back. I learned a trick from an old hand... hand a sandbag on the decompressor lever; run a rope from the lever over the neck of the rad and down to the floor, and stand on it. Then, when you're going as fast as you can go, just shift your weight off the rope to drop the lever so you can keep both hands on the handle and avoid breaking the rhythm. Starting a still-warm JPM2 in a cosy engine room after a spot of lunch is relatively a pushover.

But see my puzzle Q - what's that odd contact doing at the bottom of the panel on the set in the OP? It's kind of relevant although is redundant with the Gardner engine. The switchboard in your video link doesn't have it. Mine does.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be part of the contacts of a knife switch that may have been present at one time? Earthing switch?
[automerge]1567412496[/automerge]
Post 5 is like reading poetry.

Yes! As I mentioned, it was used when the set was a Lister-powered searchlight set, but now redundant.

Is my idea of it being part of a knife switch not correct Lucien?

I was laughing at your poetry comment! Yes, it is part of the knife switch.

No. Nothing here is normally earthed.

Have you actually tried it though Freddo
I've not had the pleasure! Only hand started 1 and 2 cylinder CS, and 2 and 3 cylinder ST engined generators. Listers are so cool! I repaired the ST2 start-o-matic on a friends farm a few years ago to get the auto start working again, I also freed the decompressors that were stuck off. For years the farmer was hand starting the engine under full compression! I would certainly struggle with that...

As ever LN provides some clues - if only one can spot them! The clue I think I spotted was about the contact only being relevant for the Lister powered genset. Whether it is also relevant to striking and then powering an arc lamp I don't know bit think not because I reckon (no experience of them) arc lamps would have their own control gear to ensure correct current and voltage during striking and running.

If I observed correctly the Gardner engine is started by an electric motor - there are teeth around the flywheel - and as a modern engine for its time would not have relied on an old-fashioned crank handle. What this means is that there is a relatively slow acceleration and ramp up in rotational speed of the engine-generator until the diesel combusts and the rotational speed stabilises.

In contrast the Lister engine has it seems to me a very rapid acceleration from stationary to running speed - an impulse start. What this means is that the magnetic excitation field in the generator rises very quickly and from Faraday's law of induction a very high emf will be induced in the windings. Such high albeit brief excessive over-voltage could cause flash over and damage to insulation within and without the generator. This is not such a problem for the slower rise in speed of the Gardner engine.

What the lower contact does then is connect in a low value high power resistor across the generator during start up to act as a load and prevent an overvoltage. Once running the resistor is switched out of circuit by a trained operator.

Or something like this...

:)

Last edited:
Back in the 80s I worked at Pinewood studios and at that time they still used carbon arc spotlights on the outdoor sets. Never paid much attention at the time but you had a stationary electrode with another on a motorised carriage which moved it along as it eroded. Mounted in the top was a small extract fan. Pinewood had its own generator room to provide DC around the lots, connection boxes consisted of three brass bars in a wooden box where you connected them normally live with a small adjustable wrapped with insulation tape.

Any engine willl accelerate as fast as its maximum power and flywheel inertial moment allow. The Gardner is a 1700 rpm automotive engine with a light flywheel that will be up to sperd faster than the Lister. The generator is self-excited so only builds up once it approaches running speed.

The contact is there to bring something into operation when required. Raising the switch to the upper position connects the supply to the output terminals.

Very nice, I have some pictures of a 1940's Ellison unit somewhere. The oil filled type, it was a work of art it was in a old foundry that we were testing, sadly the greedy owner and spark stripped it out for scrap, it belonged in a museum.
It was in working order when they ripped it out and replaced it with Schneider power board.

It’s criminal that Ellison board was destroyed for scrap. I will say I’ve had some hairy moments switching OCB’s, being able to run fast helps.

Reply to Old field generator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net