Discuss Old gimbal downlights replacements. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hammy

Alright guys, not been on here in ages. Very rarely do I do domestics, but is there anybody can help me out here?? Asked by someone to replace old style gimbal spotlights, not seen them in years. 100mm cut out, no way he can patch, plaster and install new spots. Got to be replacements. Any ideas? Also half his house is MK logic, might have enough in van to do other half of his house. Is there a screw cap/cover to fit MK?? If not what are you guys using? Don't say LAP as had problems in past. Looking for MK style with rounded edge. Seen GET ultimate or Bg? Any thoughts.

Thanks

Use the downlight converter plates, such as: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...f2_-NT8_KjAnIo9l5PVFqcxZDCmM4dIdnoaAqrz8P8HAQ

Hager sollysta range have rounded edges. They are slightly akin to MK...

I personally think the converter plates look a bit naff, and would always try to encourage the client to get the ceiling reboarded and skimmed around the existing lights. Doesn't actually cost that much all in all.

Last edited:
You can put in new downlights just get a brand that has compatible hole convertors/ conversion bezels so you can fill the space. Re: the sockets, Hager sollysta are similarish to MK and high quality.

Edit: ^^ beat me to it

Last edited:
Yeah what they said ^ :D

I am using KSR LED6 with their downlight converter plates next week and they look a good job.

Hager sollysta are my brand of choice for white plastic and come with screw covers. Great quality round edge accessories. Schneider Lisse are a similar range but are a bit chunkier and the plastic is slightly opaque. They come with hidden LED indicators though which some people like.

For the large holes you could also look at the thin commercial type LED downlights you can get like these for a 105mm cutout .... https://www.downlights.co.uk/aurora-slim-fit-low-profile.html

I am aware I can put in new downlights haha. I am a spark you know. Just seeing if anybody knew straight replacements they have used. Had a look at hager range, looks very similar, thanks guys.

Andy thanks pal, exactly the type of thing I was looking for. As with the the hager accessories, thanks to everybody. Look pretty good. Cheers guys.

Sorry Hammy, slightly hijacking post here! Does anyone know if there any adjustable angle spots that are compatible with the converter plates I linked to? Or similiar.

Quite like those in Andy's link though. Hammy, the Hager gear is generally really decent in my view. Good prices and quality.

Ansell Freskas, holes would need to be made slightly larger (I think cutout is 120mm)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reply to Old gimbal downlights replacements. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net