Discuss Old houses. Surprising finds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Another photo from a house I’m working in. Joiner is replacing the plasterboard and insulating the wall before new kitchen.

7A8F16A7-2099-4D70-AFE6-8D5F80F49966.jpeg
So, from the left
Bricked up doorway leading to garage next door (or may have been original kitchen area)
You can still see the actual door, being used as framing.
Central bricked up fireplace with decorative wooden surround above.
obligatory alcove to the right of fireplace.
far right, at the top.... lovely wallpaper. Fourth pattern exposed in the same room!

Another photo from a house I’m working in. Joiner is replacing the plasterboard and insulating the wall before new kitchen.

View attachment 56501
So, from the left
Bricked up doorway leading to garage next door (or may have been original kitchen area)
You can still see the actual door, being used as framing.
Central bricked up fireplace with decorative wooden surround above.
obligatory alcove to the right of fireplace.
far right, at the top.... lovely wallpaper. Fourth pattern exposed in the same room!
Nice photo. The dust sheet is doing it's job well :D

Did some work in a high street estate agents recently and the top third floor has restricted access due to incomplete floorboards. All the 50/60s wallpaper is mostly intact and one bedroom has a teenagers pop posters on the walls from the era a proper time capsule and I wondered where are they now.

Did some work in a high street estate agents recently and the top third floor has restricted access due to incomplete floorboards. All the 50/60s wallpaper is mostly intact and one bedroom has a teenagers pop posters on the walls from the era a proper time capsule and I wondered where are they now.
They're probably all grown up now...

guy i know (used to be a neighbour) inherited old farmhouse. when they moved in they decided to knock kitchen and living room into 1. the dividing wall was 3 ft. thick so they anticipated major strucural work. on smashing off plasterboard on kitchen side, found a coal fire with oven to one side, in pristine condition.

I was working in a Georgian property adjacent to sydney gardens in Bath last year when they ripped the plaster board off in the basement due to damp, they found a huge chimney/fireplace with original metal fixtures and fittings, even had a wheel you would put a dog in to spin the spit for cooking.. still worked. when we did the wiring we found that all the wires for the servant bells were still continuous but tucked in the ceiling so we connected them back up to the bells in the basement. was quite satisfying to see such old stuff still working. got a real sense of the history.
Chimney was so big you could walk into it and stand up right.
Once planning and building control knew this they added loads of additional restrictions, the develop was going to board it over but in the end the agent who subsequently sold it for him told him to keep it. had he not the developed would have had to incorporate hatch / door to allow access to this section.
It is listed and can not be removed. likely added a bit of money to the value as its so pristine and unique.

lastreallyoldhouse i workedin was haunted.i asked if i could join in, but was told that i was not dead yet.

Reply to Old houses. Surprising finds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net