Discuss Old light switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Just wondered what people thought on the old style backboxes for light switches well if you can call them that, i came across them today and they just have to little bits of wood mounted in the wall and wood screws to fasten the switch, are these still ok to use ? ive got to change all the switches back to plastic as a tenant has changed them to metal and the lighting circuit has no earth, i will be changing the cu so the circuit is covered by a rcd and all the normal notices but could make my mind up if the back boxes needed replacing.

many thanks

jimmy

In your case jimmy I'd say yes.

No cpc/earth in any of the old wooden backboxs with a metallic screw sitting on the faceplate is a big no no in my book.

Plastic or nylon lug screws (none conducive screws) are the answear.

Realistically its no more likely the screw in that backbox will become live than in any pvc backbox I'd have thought?

As long as minimal chance of sticking the screw through a cable I don't see the issue. Could use a size 6 screw with smaller head, and a faceplate that has the little white covers. This won't help if you have screwed through a cable, just helps hide the ugly looking screw a bit.

Metal backboxes I'd say are much worse here as there is no cpc. Would need A different screw at least, nylon perhaps.

Reply to Old light switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
DIY question. I have been changing old metal socket faceplates to the normal plastic ones. All are working fine except the faceplate of a fused...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
hello soooo...😅 i recently changed all the light switches in my house. now i saw a video that showed the 2 tiny wires inside the switch should be...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock